From Ugly Metal Utility Shed

Where do you get such a cute little shed like this one?

DIY
First you find a pile of fence boards which have been put out by the side of the road for the trash, load them up, (after asking permission of course), and take them home.

DIY

Then you talk your own handy dandy Mr. Menace into using the old fence boards to side an old beat up 10′ x 10′ metal utility building that you already own and had considered burning or giving away.
DIY

Then you will need to locate some cool antique transom windows that will open for ventilation. We found these at the local salvage place.

DIY

Mr. Menace had to cut holes in each side of the metal siding to install the windows. He then replaced the siding around the windows after getting them installed.

DIY
Next he will need to attach some scrap wood horizontally, so there will be something to nail the fence boards/new siding onto.
DIYDIY
DIY
Mr. Menace hard at work with his favorite DeWalt tools.
Then you just let him get obsessed  complete his own vision of your original idea.
BEFORE – Interior left side
AFTER – Interior left side
DIY
BEFORE – Interior back wall (ignore the arch, thats an upcoming project!)
AFTER – Interior back wall
BEFORE – Interior right wall
AFTER – Interior right wall
 Next, you will need to add a vintage wood screen door, to which you will attach an antique advertising PEPSI* push plate to protect your screen.
DIY
Also ignore the fact that there is no screen in the screen door.

say….. Pepsi Please

And lastly, sometimes never, you will attach your antique weathervane to the top.
DIY
Waiting not so patiently to be attached!

RECAP:
BEFORE
AFTER

WA-LAH! An instant adorable antique barn!

Of course there are a gazillion couple more things to do before its T-TOTALLY finished. There are louvers which will go on the bottom of the screen door after the screen is installed. And the weathervane is to be attached to the roof. THEN, I can begin to move my gardening tools out here and also do just a ton tad of decorating.

LINK PARTY:
Making Broken Beautiful

This post contains affiliate links. By clicking on my links you will help me to earn commissions, but you will NOT be charged any extra for anything that you purchase.

*Pepsi is in no way affiliated with this blog. It’s just MY favorite drink. 🙂

1. andi filante says:

This is bloody brilliant, except for the Pepsi part. I'm a total Coke girl. (Even though I don't drink any soda anymore…if I do fall off the wagon, it's Diet Coke all the way!) I love how it turned out! We built a shed last fall (I haven't gotten around to posting about it yet) but it looks like a miniature version of our house. I LOVE your reclaimed wood!

-andi

2. Nikki G says:

I think mailing it anonymously might work! hahaha Actually, I saw an FB friend's wooden shed and told her how cute I thought it was and she admitted to me that she had sided a metal utility building. The idea formed there. Thanks for your comment Christine!

3. Nikki G says:

Thanks for stopping by Andi and playing devil's advocate…. LOL (Coke needed you!)
    I can't wait to see your shed. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

4. Lisa says:

Wow – that is amazing! And I wasn't expecting to see all the wood inside too. It really looks wonderful – especially when you added that screen door.
    Hunter and I were just saying we needed a weather vane! (We've been studying weather)

5. suzette says:

What a fantastic face lift. Imagine how happy that she'd feels, kinda like Cinderella! I love the door! Darling repurposed, given a new life with Mr. Menace and Gwin Gal! Lucky shed, many would of sent her to the recycle yard.

6. Nikki G says:

Yes, the interior wall design was all Dennis's. I love it! And you know where I got my weathervane from. (years ago)
    Have you been studying clouds? so interesting!

7. Nikki G says:

We almost did! It was at my old house and the renter wanted it gone so he could get a larger nicer one to house his motorcycle. We first told him to just get rid of it but then I started rethinking it… I am so pleased with it!

8. Nikki G says:

Woo Hoo Lisa! You are in luck. And yes, if you are interested in getting rid of them, I'll help you out Mrs. Anon. But if you still enjoy them, keep them! Hugs.

9. Taylor Scarboro says:

Nikki you did a great job on this!! Love it so much, wish I had the space for one myself!

As for your question about my ottoman, I sit on it and so does my husband and the dog (although not all three of us at the same time) and it's really held up!

10. Stacey says:

I love this!! How fun. I can't wait to see what you do with that big arch.

Just wanted to say welcome to blogging. Looks like you are kind of new. 🙂

11. Nikki G says:

LOL Ride around the neighborhood checking people's throw away pile! Now as for the Mr. Fix-it, that may be a little bit more difficult. 🙂

12. Nikki G says:

Doesn't it look so cute?! A friend of mine surprised me when she said her little wood building was actually a metal shed that she covered up, soooooo why not give it a try? It turned out great! And Mr.'s idea to do the inside too was awesome. Thanks Tania!