Painting a Pew

Our home is a dark red (almost brown) brick with a large front porch. I knew I wanted church pews for that porch and I got two beauties out of my parents collection.
DIY

They have so much detail and style. Of course they are old and were missing some of the detail but still A-mazing!
DIY

There was one thing about them though that just didn’t work… They blended in with the brick wall… Almost exactly the same color!

The Dilemma:

I love antiques and “original paint” can be valuable, so I rejected the idea of painting them for at least two years. This inspiration picture kept calling to me though:

church pew inspiration

Inspiration photo from Pinterest  (no original link found)

One day, I had a sample paint jar from Lowe’s in my hand and I just felt the need to try it.

DIY

I stepped away and when I looked back at the porch I was smitten.

DIY
What a difference! I could really see that the pews were not even visible from the road in their original color and the white just POPPED!

DIY
I wasn’t (and still am not) sure if I wanted full coverage or just a smattering of coverage with the original red showing through.

My mama gave me great advice (as usual) and said I should live with it for a year and see how I like it with the minimal coverage. I could easily add another coat later if I felt it was needed it.

DIY

BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER

A Delightsome Life’s Home and Garden Thursday
Share it One More Time at Shabbyfufu
Making Broken Beautiful at The Curator’s Collection
Sweet Inspiration at The Boondocks Blog

1. Nikki G says:

hmmmmm, I am still considering, but I still lean towards the more full coverage. Thanks for you vote though. That would be much easier so its probably what I'll go with. LOL

2. Deanies Stash says:

Nikki, I love how they turned out. They pop on your front porch now. I agree with your mom, live with them and see how you like them. You can always add paint later. I like the way they look right now.

Have a great weekend.

xo Dianne

3. Nikki G says:

I do agree with that. However, on the inside I am very much decorating with cottagey and more shabby chic than classy or elegant, so maybe it would be good to get a hint of that before you enter… haha

4. Nikki G says:

Wouldn't you love to have a pew INSIDE to decorate!! That would be awesome. Alas, we all know how NOT comfortable they are. LOL
    Thanks for visiting Sarah!

5. thecuratorscollection.com says:

I absolutely love, love, love this church pew! It is gorgeous with all the wood details! Well done Nikki! I would love it if you shared it sometime at Making Broken Beautiful! The party is on now and you still have time to join in! I hope you have a great day!
    Smiles!
    Terry
    The Curator's Collection & Making Broken Beautiful

6. Stacey says:

Oooh, I like the pews painted white. What if you put some white flowers in the flower bed too. That would pull it all together. 🙂

Happy Thoughts of Home on Thursday. We are thrilled to have you.

7. Nikki G says:

Thanks Stacey! Great minds and all that jazz! Before I even decided to paint the pews white, I planted white flowers in front of the porch. They need more water than they get so they are not flourishing yet.
    I am happy to be a part!
    🙂

8. Jann Olson says:

What a difference. You really could not see them when they were dark. I love the chippy look, but think they would look fabulous with one more coat as well. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup. I'm sure it's not intentional, but I'm not seeing a link back to the party.
    hugs,
    Jann

9. Nikki G says:

Thanks Jann! I do think I'd like them with another light coat and then some distressing.
    And it looks like you are right. I forgot to add the link. I will do that now and be more careful in the future! I am still working out how to handle all this. 🙂 Thanks for hosting the SYC.

10. Nikki G says:

Thanks Sherry! I always want to put pillows, but the wind tunnel would take them far away I believe…. maybe I could hot glue them down…. hmmm

11. TwoPlusCute says:

I agree with your mom!

And omg? I have the narrowest front porch and pews are the way to go! Great idea, I will keep looking if I can find a pew, too. 🙂

12. Nikki G says:

YES! Narrow front porches work great for pews! And if yours is not as long as mine, you can even find short ones, sometimes called Deacon's benches. Good luck in your search!
    Mom knows. LOL
    Thanks for your comments 2+ 🙂

13. Sarah says:

Nikki, your benches are gorgeous pieces and the new color really does make them standout on your porch. What a great addition to a long front porch. I'd love to add a pew somewhere in our home if we had the space. I'd fill it with seasonal pillows. '-)