Phlox Phlower Bed

I mentioned in an earlier post that our yard was pretty much a blank slate. There are several mature oak trees but no flower beds except for the front foundation plantings. So my first gardening goal was to plant some color.

I knew I wanted loads of creeping phlox. It is such a beautiful old fashioned southern flower. And I had seen a photo of it planted in mass and fell in LOVE!

I have always had a little bit of creeping phlox at each place I have lived, but this time I was determined to have it in mass.

So I picked out the spot where I wanted it and started digging. I wanted a spot where it could be see from above, namely, our back deck.

Photo taken from Deck stairs
Β

I also moved my water feature to this bed. This washpot belonged to my Uncle Henry and I like to call this Uncle Henry’s fish pond.

Oh my aching back

I planted a Tea Olive tree in the large end of the bed. They have such a sweet scent! There is a Rosemary and some creeping Thyme in there also.

The second year
Last year

I took these last photos of the area yesterday. I am so pleased with how its turned out. I have even added some more to the other end.Β

I can’t wait until my plantings block some of my neighbors line of view.

And that stack of bricks on the driveway is a DIY just waiting to happen!

It is so much prettier than these photos show. I took them with my phone which is on its last leg. I will get out my real camera next time.

Sea of Pink

Β

1. thecuratorscollection.com says:

O H M Y G A R D E N ! ! ! Your creeping Phlox is stunning! It is sooooo beautiful! I am writing this down and planting a tonne of it this year for sure! Enjoying my visit to your site! I will most certainly be back ….following!
    Smiles!
    Terry
    The Curator's Collection & Making Broken Beautiful (Thursdays)

2. Lisa says:

Wow – how beautiful and INSPIRATIONAL! I really want to do more with flowers in our yard. I get flashes of ideas at times, but really need to follow through. πŸ™‚

3. Nikki G says:

I know your time is limited with 3 children! I remember those days. LOL But now we seldom have anyone at the house but us two so, this is what I do. And I love your Lilly bed. πŸ™‚

4. Nikki G says:

I love phlox on a hill and yours is gorgeous! And even more, I love that you can look down on that fabulous lilac tree! WOW!
    Thanks for stopping by! I am excited to get to know you.
    πŸ™‚

5. Stacey says:

I love creeping phlox and have always wanted it en masse too. It's so pretty that way. The view from your deck is great. The way you picked a spot and just went for it is how I like to do it sometimes too.

Thank you so much for joining the garden party. We are doing this again next month. πŸ™‚

6. Jann Olson says:

I love Phlox as well and have quite a bit of it planted along our rock walls in both our front and back yards. Yours truly is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with the Garden Party.
    hugs,
    Jann

7. Nikki G says:

Oh Jann, I LOVE phlox spilling over a rock wall!! I have a tiny brick wall on one side of this bed and I hope it starts spilling over it soon. I am so excited to join the garden party and many more. Thanks so much for coming by to see my flowers.
    πŸ™‚

8. Nikki G says:

I grew up with sandy soil and phlox did grow there. YOu may have to ammend your soil some so it will hold water better but I bet you can grow it. Good luck and thanks for stopping by to visit! πŸ™‚