Take your time (Bedroom ~ Part 1)

My bedroom makeover began about 3 years ago and its still not finished. However, it is extremely close. Here’s a peek…

Let’s back up nearly 5 years now…to when we first moved into our house. We were newlyweds and this was the first time we tried to mix and match our belongings into one place and make it ours, but neither of us really had suitable bedroom furniture.

I really like this color scheme. The walls are a pinkish tan which remind me of beach sand and all the white and turquoise are happy colors. It looked great in my old house, which is a tiny cottage, (read about that here), but it just didn’t “go” with our new house at all.

We lived with this design for a couple of years but then we started toying around with the idea of getting a king size bed. And my mind began to churn with ideas…

Mr. Menace is extremely partial to Tempur-pedic  mattresses, so the first upgrade was a king size with the adjustable base. Then I looked for beds at every furniture store in the Birmingham area, but they all seemed the same. I couldn’t find anything that was unique or that wasn’t cookie cutter-ish. Until.
UNTIL… My cousin told me she had been to a furniture store and everything there had reminded her of me! The closest Arhaus store is in Atlanta, GA, so I scoured their website and found THIS!

VIVALDI KING BED IN BLACK

Now that’s unusual and in white, with a distressed finish, it was PERFECT! I contacted the company to find out if it would work with our adjustable bed frame and found out it was on clearance! I ordered it immediately. (headboard and bed frame, no footboard)
While shopping for beds I saw a comforter set that I liked but it was rather expensive. I instead bought a cheaper, beautiful, elegant set. As soon as I put it on our new bed, I knew I needed to just bite the bullet and get the one I really wanted. It was evident that I was going to be disappointed every time I walked into the bedroom if I didn’t. This one, from Pine Cone Hill, is SO much more me.

Bedding from Pine Cone Hill

I ordered a rug from Joss and Main  and that completed the first stage of the bedroom makeover.

Both Mr. Menace and I love lying (or sitting up!) in bed and watching movies. But I was not satisfied. I could easily see that the walls were screaming for a new color. The antique mantel and the bedding deserve to be focal points, and at this point, they just blend into the walls.

From the bed it is obvious that the walls need to be a different color to make the bedding and mantel be focal points.

Stay tuned for Part 2.

My Soulful Home
Dwellings, The Heart of Your Home
Making Broken Beautiful
Thoughts of Home
Inspiration Thursday
Sundays at Home
DIY Sunday Showcase
Saturday Sparks

Shopping LINKS:
Mattress from Tempurpedic
Headboard and bed frame from Arhaus
Bedding from Pine Cone Hill
Rug from Joss and Main

The above mentioned companies are not affiliated with this blog.

1. Nikki G says:

Thanks Debbie! I am really enjoying have REAL bedroom furniture and not just hand-me-downs and thrift store finds. Nothing wrong with those, in fact I love both, but I really needed something more us. 🙂

2. Christine Vandormolen says:

Hi Nikki, I wanted to thank you for leaving me a sweet comment on my latest blog post (new accent color in the family room). I wanted to reply directly to your comment, but you showed up as a non reply blogger (Google glitch). Luckily I tracked you down on Google Plus and found your blog!!!!! The bedroom looks cozy, will follow you!!! Christine from Little Brags

3. carol@The Red Painted Cottage says:

We've been working on our bedroom for well over 2 years, a little bit here and a little bit there! We sold our beautiful Ethan Allen bedroom set when we moved almost 3 years ago cause we didn't know if we would have room for it or not, depending where we moved to. So we've been sort of starting from scratch again, but it's been a fun ride!

4. Nikki G says:

Yes! The process itself is fun, isn't it? When the inspiration strikes, and then shopping for what you have in mind… and then finally, seeing it come together!
    I love decorating. Thanks for coming by Carol 🙂

5. Nikki G says:

Thanks so much Ms. Cottage! 😉 I am working on that blog post now, even though that one tiny last feature is still waiting on us to get it installed. Thanks for coming by!

6. TwoPlusCute says:

Nikki, I sent you an e-mail with a blog post I had made about how to stop being a no-reply blogger.
    Hope it helps and if the e-mail doesn't reach you, let me know and I wil add the link here in a comment. 🙂

7. TwoPlusCute says:

That is one interesting & unusual bed!

We just have a mattress on the floor after two years of living in our home so you are way ahead of us. 🙂

I agree the fireplace must become a focal point and needs to stand out. Something elaborate to go with the style I see you leaning toward. At least in your bedroom, you are not a minimal girl.

If I were to come and gift you a DIY of that fireplace, I'd remove the plain round columns and add intricate carved corbels and lined (trim would work) columns that would not take too much space but would add a lot of texture.

The bed, the rug, are all luxurious and elaborate. Would love what else you do with your bedroom. 🙂

8. Nikki G says:

Hello 2+,
    Thanks so much for your input! I agree that corbels would be AWESOME! However, since it is an antique mantel I don't think I am going to take it apart.
    And you are so correct, I am not a minimal girl. LOL If only you could see…
    🙂

9. Stacey says:

This is really pretty and I like the way you shop! Your bed is gorgeous.

Happy Thoughts of Home. We are so glad you joined us. 🙂