A Lovely Failure

A Lovely Failure

If you ever get on Pinterest I am sure you have seen the solar chandeliers. I wanted one but didn’t know what I’d do with one.

DIY

Until… we bought a hot tub last summer. I then had the perfect use for one. What could be more romantic than sitting in the hot tub with a cool drink, watching the stars above by the light of a chandelier?

DIY

This chandelier was in Mr. Menace’s childhood home. It’s rather plain, but absolutely perfect for my outdoor light! I removed the white shades and spray painted it the same blue as my outdoor chairs, which is Rustoleum Spa Blue.

DIY

I then hot glued solar lights on it. I used hot glue because I thought I didn’t want them to be permanent. My thinking was that the cheap lights would probably only last a year or so, and then they would need to be replaced. So I thought with hot glue they would be easy to pop off and glue a new one in as needed.

DIY

Then I hung it on the side of the deck just above the hot tub. How elegant it looked! And it worked splendidly!

DIY

Until the lights started falling off.

DIY

So. I have some construction adhesive that will hold those suckers in…. but do I really want them that secure? If you have done this craft, what type of glue did you use?

Inspiration Thursday

The Wednesday Showcase

Grace at Home

Party at My Place

Idea Box

Thoughts of Home on Thursday

Friday Feature

Saturday Sparks

CLIMB

Sweet Inspiration

1. Lela says:

I think it’s perfect for over your hot tub! And I love the color you chose. I would love to make something like this but I don’t think I have anywhere to hang one just yet. Thanks for stopping by Inspiration Thursday tonight!

I love it over the hottub. Its not so distracting that you can’t still watch the stars. Thanks for hosting Inspiration Thursday and for stopping by here!

2. Kim says:

I love that blue!! I would try E6000 glue instead. When the bulbs don’t work anymore, you can just swap out the lids, and leave the clear plastic portion of the solar light attached, instead of having to replace the whole entire solar light and re-glue. 🙂

Oh thank you so much!! I have that glue, but I was scared to use it because it holds too good. LOL I am now dancing a jig over here….

Oh and thank you for stopping by and commenting and for the color compliment!! I got so excited about the glue I forgot my manners….

3. Michelle says:

Not sure if I know the answer to what glue I would use. I would think the heat from the light and the hot tub would melt it a bit. I like the blue color you painted though. Be curious what you decide.

The lights really don’t get hot (except from the sun maybe). But I’ll be sure to post and let you all know what works (or doesn’t) next try too. Thanks for your input! See you around. 🙂

4. Laura Ingalls Gunn says:

Oh this is a fantastic idea and I love the color! I imagine it is the summer heat that melts the glue.

Thank you for so faithfully joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. You are a treasured blogging friend.

Thanks Laura! I do so enjoy linking up on Thursdays and seeing what everyone else is doing. This weekends goal? NEW glue! 🙂

5. AnnMarie says:

I have never heard of a solar chandelier! The color you painted it is my favorite! I just want any kind of chandelier but haven’t found THE one yet.

I love all kinds of solar lights AnnMarie! And when I started seeing these on Pinterest, I knew I had to have one. And they are so easy to make! And cheap too. Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for your input Debra. I will keep you updated on what I try and what works and what doesn’t! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

6. Debbie-Dabble says:

Love the way this chandy looks! I have one that I want to use outside and add solar lights but I had already glued votive cups for candles to it because of where I was using it previously. I will have to figure something out…
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Hugs,
    Dbe

Hi Debbie, See thats what I was afraid of in the beginning….. gluing so securely that I couldn’t change them out. Ah well. 🙂

7. Michelle Leslie says:

Love the pretty blue color and it’s perfect for a hot tub chandelier. If the glue doesn’t work maybe you could put the old shades back and add some solar powered fairy string lights in each shade? Enjoy your hot tub 🙂

8. Pamela J Smith says:

Love it! It looks so pretty! I haven’t tried this, but what if you wrapped a rubber band around the bottom of the light and then placed it in the holder. Maybe if it was tight enough it would hold it.?. Or maybe a little screw on the side? Let me know if these work! LOL!

HI Pamela! I think I will try different styles of lights and possibly find one that fits better. These were practically the same size and therefore didn’t go into the holder, but rather sat on top. I’ll let you know what I figure out! 🙂

9. Katrin says:

How fun and what a great idea to just hot glue solar lights on it! You are right, those lights sometimes only last a year or not even so like this you can easily change them out! Perfect! Love the colour as well, your hot tub looks great btw!!!

Hi Katrin! We are loving the hot tub, just don’t get to use it often enough. And I love my solar chandelier hanging by it. Just enough light. Thanks for visiting. 🙂