Deck Decor

Deck Decor

The back of our house has a great deck! Beautifully made and gorgeous wood! But we never use it. It is sufficatingly hot out there during the summer. And there is no comfortable furniture. I am working to fix both of these problems and I thought you might have some ideas to help me.

Realtors picture from 2011

I was very excited about the back deck when we bought our home. I was excited to decorate it and start living out there! In fact, the day of our closing, we took our air mattress over to the house and slept on the back deck! And during mild temperatures, and a/c outages, we have slept out there on several occasions.

DIY

Decorating the deck has been fun. I found these two bar stools at a yard sale for $5 each. And these two cane back chairs at the thrift store for $10 each. Of course they all had to be painted. (ps. They call me the spray paint Queen! I think I have every color ofΒ Rust-oleum that Home Depot carries.)

Bar Stools – Before

Bar Stools – After

Cane Back Chairs – Before

Cane Back Chair – After Paint

My first upholstery job.

DIY

The finished cane back chair.

I am not happy with the decor yet. I want a couch or a lounge chair or a sectional or SOMETHING we can lay down on. Plus, it needs paint. It is SO dark. And while I love the wood, it needs to be lighter and brighter.

Here are a few of my inspirations:

Painted Walls & beams from BHG

Painted Walls & beams

Painted floor & ceiling

Painted walls & ceiling

The deck in that last picture looks remarkably like mine! I love how bright it is. And now, here are some pictures of my deck right this minute. Dirt, shoes, and all.

Standing in the doorway, to the left is a gas heater and the two cane back chairs.

The left front corner has our bar table, that Mr. Menace made and the two bar stools.

The left front corner has our bar table, that Mr. Menace made, and the two bar stools.

Front right corner has the chair swing that we bought in Mexico.

Front right corner has the chair swing that we bought in Mexico.

Standing in the doorway, to the right is a cabinet and all my bird food.

Still standing in the doorway, to the right is a cabinet and all my bird food.

Here you can see the door to the house.

Here you can see the door to the house.

In the last picture you can see the dark brick wall, the dark wood shingles above it, the dark wood ceiling, the dark wood floor and the dark wood surrounding the screens and the railing.

DIY

Full view from the house doorway.

Now, I need help. Any hints? What would lighten and brighten it up the best, without painting every single piece of wood?

This post contains affiliate links. By clicking on my links you will help me to earn commissions but you will NOT be charged any extra for anything that you purchase.

Thoughts of Home

Over the Moon

Dishing It & Digging It

Inspiration Monday

Tuesday Talk

Our Simple Homestead

1. Michelle says:

Oh so many options here. Still not sure what the item was on Instagram though. Blinds always help keep the sun out. As far as heat ceiling fans help as does stand up fans when needed. Lighten it, the sky is endless here or keep the dark and lighten the accessories. I always found dark wood adds a country charm to it.

Thanks for all the tips. I plan to make some curtains to help with the sun at some point. And I love all the dark wood too, thats why I am torn. I am pretty sure I will leave the beams and I know I want to leave the wood shakes. But I do want to paint something….

*HINT* It has something to do with the chair swing. πŸ™‚

2. Keri says:

I like your porch! It looks so cozy and relaxing. I really like the table and the green chairs too. I’m sure you’ll do a great job on brightening up the space.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Keri! I’m just a bit nervous to start slapping up paint though. πŸ™‚

Thanks Debbie, I learned a lot while upholstering those chairs. Mainly, what NOT to do! LOL But the mistakes I made don’t bother me and as I said, it was a great self-taught tutorial. πŸ™‚
      I did have a matching rug out there once. Maybe I should put it back!

3. Linda says:

I think a colorful outdoor rug, ceiling fan, and a day bed suspended by chains. Also some pretty indoor plants. I would not paint the wood or brick, it has a nice look already. Outdoor curtains would also be a plus to keep out the sun when needed. Great job on the chairs.

Hi Linda, and thanks for stopping by! There is a ceiling fan out there thank goodness! I’d love a daybed and am toying with that idea. Although, I don’t think I’ll do a swinging one since we have the swinging chair. Thanks for all your input. Lots for me to think about. πŸ™‚

4. mama says:

hummm…some of us are fighting the same battle.to cold in winter and to hot in summer, need to double the floor to get rid of cracks. not a blind fan so curtains that pull easy and close only when sun is coming in. blinds would be easy and better unless they need cleaning. windows all around are perfect. a must do, the windows solve several issues. fly to Carolina, rent truck, take UH and AM wicker, sofa long enough. can be repainted anycolor. I will get a small window unit for cooling..wish I had a skylight to open inseason

Oh I want a skylight!!! And yes, I’d like to try the family wicker pieces! You’ve got my mind a-churning… I just need more money and time. oh. and energy! LOL πŸ™‚

5. Christine says:

I would kill for a screened in porch! But I admit, I agree it is too dark for me. Hubby would come home and find me trying to decide what to paint white. Either the brick wall or the ceiling. LOL

Any chance you have electricity out there for a nice large ceiling fan?

Hi Christine, I do have electricity and there is a ceiling fan. I also have 2 personal fans which do make it bearable after the sun goes down. I am leaning towards painting the ceiling. I hate to paint the brick and I know I don’t want to paint the wood shingles above the brick. So that leaves the walls, floor, and ceiling. I know I don’t want the aggravation of having to paint the rails, so that rules out the walls. So now, I am left with the ceiling and/or floor. I am making progress in my decision. πŸ™‚

Yes, it IS a nice one, Charlotte! I do love it. I just have to figure out how to make it more usable. Thanks for visiting with me. πŸ™‚

6. Kellie says:

Your porch is looking great! you are brightening it up perfectly!! I love painting furniture! & thank you so much for linking up to WASTE NOT WEDNESDAY!! we love having you at the link party!

Thank you so much Lori! My husband made that table. It weighs a ton! πŸ™‚ I will post new pictures when I decide something on the decor. I think curtains might do it.

7. Melissa Ruddy says:

Love the bright green! If you don’t want to paint try and indoor/outdoor rung to brighten things up. There are so many places you can go with this space. You have some wonderful light. I understand what you mean about the heat though my back patio is impossible to sit in during the morning. Maybe add some window tinting to minimize the heat without effecting the view. Can’t wait to see what you do with it

Hi Melissa, I am doing some quick fixes right now and will be posting soon. Then I will decide about paint. I like sitting out here in the early morning, but afternoon is torture. Thanks for the vote of confidence. πŸ™‚

Hi Carol, don’t you love a good porch? It really drew me in when I was house hunting. Good to see you again. πŸ™‚

8. Angie Rose says:

Oh my goodness, I absolutely love your deck! I frequently daydream about one day having a deck of my own. Love that chair swing from Mexico! I truly enjoy all the fun decor. Thank you for sharing with us at Dishing It & Digging It. Hope to see you back this week πŸ™‚

Thank you so much Angie! The deck is a lot of what drew me to this house. I envisioned practically LIVING on the back deck. I do use it more now than I have in the first 3 years we lived here, but still not enough. That is what I am working on changing. Thanks for visiting with me Angie. πŸ™‚