Winning the West

Winning the West

Or at least bringing a small portion to Alabama

Have you ever considered how Western decor can intertwine with Country decor, or Farm decor, or even the Eclectic Cottage decor that I have in my own home? No? Me neither! Until now that is.

Before moving to Alabama in the early 90’s, I lived in Texas for 5 years and picked up a love for many things cowboy-ish. That is when I first became interested in line dancing, and going to rodeos was so much fun! I even still own my Roper boots which I bought when I lived there. It was Texas where I learned to love avocados and had my first taste of Taco Salad. Good times!

Trail riding near San Antonio

Doing some online window shopping I found a neat website, King Ranch Saddle Shop, with  some really cozy items that I’d love to add to my home. This Grande ottoman would be my first choice. And since I am dreaming big, I want this Hair on Hide Sociable sofa  for my ottoman to sit in front of, and this indigo rug would pull in my love of blue nicely.

Grande Ottoman

Hair on Hide Sociable Sofa

Indigo Rug

I already have a love for peacock feathers and use them profusely in my Christmas decor, so I can extend my use of them with this antler & peacock centerpiece. Wine barrels have been on my wish list ever since we toured the Jack Daniels Distillery a few years ago and this one that is also a cooler  is WAY cool. Mr. Menace and I love all things chrome, aluminum, and shiny and this silver plated horse is spectacular!

But money IS an object and I can’t just go buy everything I love. So. HOW do you add some western style to your home? When I began to consider how I could incorporate western decor in my own home, I found that in actuality, I already own many things that, with the right styling, could transition easily to a Western theme. For instance, here are some things I found in my own home that I think might work perfectly:

Western Decor

Western Decor

I also found some ideas at a wedding that I went to, that was country/cowboy themed. I especially loved the use of the cowboy boots as vases.

Flower Bouquet in boots

Wood bench with quilt and flower bouquet in boots

Wagon with bucket of flowers, burlap & lace, cowboy boots

The boots used in the wedding were special because they belonged to the bride’s deceased Papa Bill. I know that everybody doesn’t own cowboy boots, but with the popularity of women’s booties, a lot of them with fringe, it wouldn’t be hard to find something that would work just as good! Or, if all else fails, we can just order THESE BEAUTIES!

Silver Cross Boots

The wedding ideas could easily be adapted to home decor. Any bench or wagon + boots + quilt = country western decor! The more I consider it, the more I realize that I have plenty of items that will work already and no huge shopping trip involved. It is always good when you can just re-purpose what you have in new ways and not have to spend a lot of money. Although, I still want those cowgirl boots…

This is the area of my study that I plan to transform and this is how it looks right now. The wood box display hanging on the wall is my very favorite DIY in our home. You can  see more pictures of it  HERE.

I use the chalkboard for a planner of sorts. It usually has a monthly calendar with all our plans for the month listed. I’m a little behind on getting that done this month. I hope we don’t miss any engagements before I get it done!

This other side of this area is constantly changing. I have not found the perfect decor yet, so maybe the western decor will be it!

I am so excited to get started on this project! My mind is working overtime and if it turns out half as good as it is in my brain, I will be pleased. Please come back for Part 2 where I will reveal the results of my own western theme ideas!

Do you have any western decor in your home or items that might transform into western decor?

1. Lisa says:

I love cowboy boots too! Though I don’t have any. I don’t really have any cowboy decor – other than a Lone Ranger lunchbox and a Roy Rogers gift bag which I store tissue paper in. 🙂 I LOVE your chalkboard!

You know, I didn’t think I had any decor either. Until I started looking! I have a lot more than I thought. That chalkboard is wonderful isn’t it?? That’s one of Dennis’s awesome finds. There is sure something to be said for the salesmans life…. he saw a lot and was able to finangle some great deals on some great stuff. 🙂

2. Marilyn Lesniak says:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful post at #OverTheMoon. I look forward to what you will share next week! Like someone in person today! We hope you’ll come back again next Sunday when we open our doors at 6:00 PM EST. Pinned and tweeted!

3. Olivia- Reinvented Collection says:

Well this sounds super fun! I’m half southern gal so I can appreciate a good western decor style for sure.

The boots and bench with the Shabby Chic comforter is lovely.

I look forward to seeing what you do. What a breath of fresh air in the decor niche too.

Thanks for sharing with Thursday Favorite Things.

4. Olivia- Reinvented Collection says:

Oh my… I got so excited that I skipped an entire paragraph. I was a line and swing dancing fool and I still love it along with Ropers! High five sister! How high we could get our stack on our boots really was a thing back then. What part of Texas did you live in? I’m from East Texas. My dads family still lives there. It’s a great place! I can’t believe you hadn’t had taco salad until then?? That’s a crying shame but I’m glad you finally experienced that glorious meal. There was a restaurant named Mercado’s in Tyler. I still drool thinking about the food. It was so incredible.

Anyway… I’m still excited to see what all you do in your home. Please, remember me and catch me on my FB page with a link to your blog. Sometimes I miss stuff in emails, actually, I often times miss posts I really want to see. Just way to many ways to follow folks these days.

Hahaha I am so glad you backed up and read the missed section! I lived in Denton and in Ranger. I was in Denton when our preachers wife invited us over for Taco salad WITH AVOCADOS! LOL I eat it all the time now. I actually got to go to Billy Bob’s once but that was before I knew how to dance. And I was always intrigued that ranchers had “tanks” instead of ponds. 🙂
      Thanks so much for stopping by Olivia; I have so much enjoyed reminiscing with you! I will be sure to drop by your blog.

5. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Nikki it seems I am working backwards. I read the other after post first and now I’ve come here. I now see where you get your love of all things western. I love that couch with the hide on the side, never seen anything like it. Of course it is out of anyone’s budget. But I really like your ideas and especially the keys. Keys make everything better!

Mary, I read almost all magazines backwards! LOL Isn’t that sofa awesome? And I can’t tell you how excited I got when Mr. Menace showed me his old keys. But I bet you understand. Thanks for the visit. 🙂