Shaking it UP with Tassels

Shaking it Up with Tassels

I love a little bling: Rhinestones, Glitter, Chrome, Gold. Anything that adds just a bit of “umph” to an otherwise ordinary something and so I’m shaking it up with tassels!

I knew when we bought it,Β that my beige summer shade umbrella that we got super cheap at the Target end of season clearance last year was way too boring. Beige is just NOT something I would normally buy. I love color too much. But the price was right and our old one was totally worn out. So we bought it. And it works great! But it’s boring.

I think it all started with Pinterest, as almost all DIY projects do these days. Beautiful romantic hammocks with blankets and pillows and fringe caught my eye, and I knew I needed fringe. Fringe and Tassels!

It then came to me that maybe an umbrella with tassels was the way to go, and so I searched Pinterest for ideas.

And the plan was born. I was immediately off to Ebay to find some suitable trim to add to my umbrella.

I started pinning it on, just to get an idea of how it would look.

My sewing machine has never been set up since we moved in our house over five years ago. Sigh… Indoor work is only for bad weather days and we have a lot of sunny days in Alabama.

So I decided to go with Fabric Glue. It takes a while to dry though, so I would glue a section and then weight it down for an hour or so before moving on to the next section.

I gathered up a couple of bricks, some bookends and a few clothes pins to hold it. My fingers are crossed that the glue will hold up to the weather this summer.

I love the way the blue looks on the beige and it has also helped me to decide what color outdoor furniture I want to get for the new deck. (You can read about the new deck by clicking HERE.) Anything that helps me make up my mind about something is a blessing. ha!

I sort of wish I had just sewn the trim onto the umbrella, because it took a while to get all of it glued on. Since I was working on one section at a time in the evenings after work, it took aboutΒ 5 days to get it attached. Most of that was drying time, and in the end, it was totally worth it.

I think it adds a perfect personal and fun touch.

Now I just have to find the right outdoor sofa and this outdoor lounge area will be complete.

I was Featured!

Marilyn's Treats Thursday Favorite Things Feature

Wednesday Link Party

I’m with you – beige is boring!! I have to say WOW! I can not believe how much better than umbrella looks. I love that blue you choose. It’s so interesting now and really looks nice. Good job! πŸ™‚

Thanks Lisa! And I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think I want a beige cushioned outdoor sofa now! I never thought I’d say that! I’ve been researching blue ones and yellow ones and green ones for a couple of years now and they are more expensive! But I was thinking if I got beige it would tie in the umbrella AND I could use wild & colorful pillows! (with tassels!) πŸ™‚

Thanks Christine! I am really liking it. And as I sat there gazing at it over the holiday weekend, I got to thinking that I might need to put some along the top air vent flaps too! πŸ™‚

2. Donna says:

I agree the tassels are fun and bring a wonderful ‘pop’ of colour! Thanks for sharing this #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty .

3. Melissa says:

Love this! I’m pinning this one to remember – I’ve got a boring brown umbrella that could use some fun additions! Thanks for sharing for the Home Matters Linky Party! #HomeMatters Party

4. sizzlesue15 says:

Tassles look so effective don’t they and I love the ones on the umbrella. Thanks for sharing with us at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. It is great to have you link up with us and look forward to our next link up. I’m sharing on social media.
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

I love how the tassels made the umbrella unique and not like every other beige umbrella that Target sold! haha Thanks so much! πŸ™‚

5. Clearissa Coward says:

Great job!!! That pop of blue was just what that beige umbrella needed. Thanks for sharing with us at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I am sharing on social media. Clearissa from Clearissa Coward’s Command Center.

Thanks Clearissa, I am happy with the way it turned out! Even Mr. Menace said it looks good (without me asking him) !! πŸ™‚

6. marilyn1998 says:

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #ThursdayFavoriteThings this week. Visit me at https://www.marilynstreats.com on Wednesday evening and to see your feature and grab your badge! All hosts choose their own features so be sure to return to my blog. I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon.

7. Teresa says:

I can’t get over what a difference the tassels made! What a great idea, it gave the umbrella some real pizzazz. Thanks for sharing this idea at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty!