June in the Garden

June in the Garden

We’ve had a lot of rain in the past 2-3 weeks and my garden is LOVING it! Everything from the grass, to the flowers, to the fruit, is so green and vibrant. The only trouble with that is, when the summer drought hits, they will be expecting ME to water them just as faithfully. Boy, do I dream of an irrigation system….

Anyway, I thought I’d share how beautiful things are looking right now. Join me for a brief tour of June in the Garden.

FLOWERS:

Four O’clocks have started blooming in both white and pink. I planted a mixture and am reallllllly hoping to get some yellow ones. I’ve never had anything except pink before. Although, these that I panted from purchased seeds don’t seem to have the sweet scent that the old fashioned pink ones did. I need to get some more of those, because I do love sweet scented flowers.

I planted three new Echinacea last year, supposedly all pink. But when they started to bloom one seemed to be TOTALLY green. I was ok with that, however it has now started to turn pink also.

These two chaste trees, (vitex), have my heart. The Japanese Beetles fight me for them, but picking them off by hand is worth it to spend some daily time admiring their beauty.

This butterfly bush was one of the few original plants in this yard when we moved here over five years ago. It isn’t doing as well as it should this year, so I have pruned it and am babying it and hopefully it will live many more years with us.

I have to show you these bird planted sunflowers. They come up every year underneath my bird feeders which are on the upper deck outside my kitchen window. They are so sweet, although it’s sure not the prettiest corner of my yard, but it’s real life.

I am almost positive that I planted more than one of these white verbena last year. However, I had forgotten about them until I saw this one yesterday. It is a distinct possibility that I have either cut the others down with the weedeater or the lawnmower…. shhhh… don’t let Mr. Menace know, because he gets in HUGE trouble if he cuts down any of my plants!

UPDATE:

The Moss Rose, (portulaca), is doing fabulously on the “green” roof of my fairy house. If somehow you’ve missed it, read about my adorable fairy house HERE.

FRUITS:

Not quite ripe yet, but my four blackberry shrubs are doing great. They are still tiny, but growing like weeds!

My two fig shrubs are doing right along. No fruits yet, but some day! Notice my cute “barn” on the left? It’s not really a cute barn at all. Read about that transformation HERE.

OTHER:

A late cold snap bit my Eucalyptus back to the ground this spring, but it has recovered nicely. You can also see my current compost pile in the background. Read about how easy it is to compost HERE.

What’s going on in your garden?

Homestead Bog Hop

Such beauty! Solomon would love it too. Yesterday he gathered 6 vases worth of flowers and has them scattered around the house! We have daises, flea bane, day flowers, spider wort, yucca, and Queen Anne’s lace all growing wild. My day lilies have started opening and I have asiatic, Easter, and calla lillies. Peppermint is doing fantastic (I love to put batches into the chicken coop!) and the sage plant you gave us is so big that I had to move it from Solomon’s garden into an enormous pot. Mullein is also doing well. Solomon is still waiting for his Solomon’s Seal and Solomon’s (?? can’t remember the other one) to flower. Sunflowers are starting to grow! And we have some flowers I can not identify. πŸ™‚

What a darling Solomon is! And your comment reminds me that I forgot to show my daisies and calla lillies. Thanks for visiting me, Lisa. πŸ™‚

• Lisa Hollowell says:

And I forgot to mention my wonderful gardenias! And tonight I found wild sunflowers in the woods. Yay! Those should grow like crazy everywhere soon. We both need a tour of each others property before too long!

Oh Gardenias! I have some I want to move. Should have done that when we were getting all that rain…. Oh wouldn’t a garden tour be fun!

2. Virginia Hollowell says:

loved spending time in you “yarden” this morning/it is lovely/enjoyed seeing my Lisa’s post and thinking about how pretty her flowers are////

3. acraftymix says:

You have a lovely garden and I’m quite envious that it’s almost Summer on your side of the world. Our garden has just started preparing for her Winter slumber so I really miss all the beautiful flowers. Your Mirabilis jalapas are just gorgeous. Hope you find that yellow one soon

Oh Michelle, I know what you mean. I feel the same way when the seasons are reversed! And you made me learn something new… I had to look up that plant name. hahaha πŸ™‚

4. sizzlesue15 says:

I love flowers and enjoyed your garden and the beauty of nature. Thanks so much for sharing with us at #overthemoon. I’m sharing on social media. Have a lovely week and see you next week.
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

5. Clearissa Coward says:

What a beautiful summer garden. Everything is so lush and healthy looking. I love the butterfly bush. I wish I had more area to plant. It would wonderful to have a space for veggies and fruits. You are very lucky and your garden is gorgeous.

Hi Clearissa! Sometimes I wish I had a smaller area. LOL But yes, you are right, I am lucky. Thanks. πŸ™‚

6. Rhonda says:

Hello fellow gardener! I’m loving your plants, especially the sunflowers. Do tell, what kind are they? The Moss Rose is amazing too. I plant it every year in containers. I’ve never seen it one color. Mine is always a mixture of colors. This is the first time that I’ve seen a Eucalyptus plant. Thanks for sharing on Sunday’s Best.

Hi Rhonda. Always fun to meet a fellow gardener. Truly, the sunflowers were just dropped from the bird feeder by the birds so they are just whatever seeds Lowe’s sells as bird seed! I had never seen moss rose in one color either until this year. Again, it came from Lowe’s and I bought several flats and they all were pink except for a couple of rogue red ones. My mama has had a eucalyptus for years, but I had never found one for myself until last year. I love the scent. Thanks for visiting! πŸ™‚

7. Leanna says:

Your garden is gorgeous and the fish pond really is the focal point. It was really nice to read about your family and witness the appreciation you have for the people who cared for you.