Moss Rock Preserve ~ Hiking Alabama

Moss Rock Preserve ~ Hiking Alabama

In the continuing effort to visit every nook and cranny in the great State of Alabama, and to share it with the world, today I want to take you on a hike at the Moss Rock Preserve in Hoover, Alabama.

See these other great Alabama travel ideas:

Mentone, The ShoalsΒ Part 1, The Shoals Part 2, The Shoals Part 3, Lover’s Leap, Orange Beach

Hoover is a bustling suburb of Birmingham. It is home to the Galleria Mall and lots of other great shopping. It is also home to a glorious Preserve called Moss Rock.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

My daughter and my two granddaughters and I decided to hike the Orange Trail to High Falls and then to the Top of the World.visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

The trail follows alongside a scenic creek.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

We found lots of fungi and cute things to look at.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

As we continued to hike, the rocks got bigger.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

Of course, with mama and grandmama,Β 6 and 8 year old girls, the lunch time picnic was the best.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

We ate lunch within sight of the High Falls, which made for a great view.

Well, almost.

Right at the most scenic area on the Orange Trail hike, someone had hung their hammock and was hanging out over the falls.

Literally.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

The guy in the hammock is actually the reason we stopped short of the High Falls for lunch. But after we ate, we headed off to complete our adventure. We were hot and ready to cool off by wading in the cold waterfall.visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

That water was soooooo refreshing!

I didn’t actually get a great photo of the whole waterfall. I guess we were too busy playing.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

Mossy Rock was everywhere!
visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

One of the girls spied this crawdad.

visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

And the Damsel Flies were gorgeous colors! We saw green, blue and purple.visit Alabama, hike in Birmingham, things to do Hoover

After cooling off in the waterfall, we decided to head back. The girls were tired and not interested in continuing on to see the Top of the World. We decided they had gotten enough exercise and it was time to head out of the woods for our next adventure.

Next Adventure?

Donuts.

Dunkin’ Donuts.

What’s your favorite?

1. Crystal Malone says:

Definitely a shady place to hike and tons of various fungi to see! Something I have learned hiking with kids (but forgot that day)…if we don’t have a destination in mind it goes better because I don’t feel like we “missed” something and everyone has more fun πŸ™‚

I think it turned out fine. They were troopers! haha Although I still want to see the Top of the World! πŸ™‚

2. Peabea says:

Oh, I so love that you took me along for your trek through this preserve. Awesome photos and sounds like a fun day. Yes to the Dunkin Donuts. lol

Peabea@Peabea Scribbles

Hi Cassie! I think it surprises people to actually see how beautiful Alabama is. Thanks for taking a hike with me. πŸ™‚

3. thededicatedhouse says:

What gorgeous scenery! Thank you for sharing this at Make it Pretty! Have a lovely weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

It was a beautiful hike! And that was just one of the trails. I am ready to go check out some of the other ones. Thanks for visiting! πŸ™‚

4. Leanna says:

What a gorgeous post, everything is so green and full of life. The variety of the fungi is quite startling. The smiles show what a terrific day it must have been. Canada does not have Dunkin Donuts, but my favorite donut is sour cream.

I do love being outside and love seeing new places. They have other trails too, so I have plenty to explore. If you ever come to Alabama look me up! πŸ™‚

5. Carol ("Mimi") says:

Looks like a great place to go hiking. Thank you for linking up at The Blogger’s Pit Stop. I’m sharing your link on social media.
    Carol (β€œMimi”) from Home with Mimi

6. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Nikki you have granddaughters?? Did you become a momma when you were ten? πŸ˜‰ I am happy to see you spending time with the family and at such a beautiful preserve. We used to do that with the kids when they were younger in Connecticut.

HA HA! Yes, sure, I was ten! I love being outside and I am thankful that my daughter and my granddaughters do too. Thanks for visiting Mary. πŸ™‚

7. Florence says:

Hi Nikki! Just read this post on Moss Rock Preserve…I live fairly close to that. Did you see Lover’s Leap yet? That’s a fun place. I used to spend a lot of time going back & forth to it when I was a kid. We lived even closer to that then. Tip Top Grill is right next to it & has a fabulous view. Looks like you & your grands had a fun time in the Preserve. It’s a wonderful place to expose kids to nature.

Hi Florence! I have been to Lover’s Leap, But I haven’t eaten at the Tip Top yet. I want to though. I am rather excited to find out you live nearby. I am in Hueytown. πŸ™‚