Poetry on Canvas

Poetry on Canvas

I shared with you about redoing my bedroom last year, read about (Part 1) and (Part 2). But I have not rehung any wall art yet because I’ve had a project in mind that will be the main piece of art for the room. Have you seen any Poetry on Canvas yet? Or maybe song lyrics?

RESEARCH:

Mr. Menace writes beautiful poetry. The first poem he wrote for me was about 15 years ago not long after we started dating. We lived in different towns and he sent me a single rose for Valentine’s Day. On the card he had them write his original poem.

I decided I wanted to paint this poem on canvas and hang it in our bedroom. Michael’s had their art supplies 1/2 price and I purchased the largest canvas. Then I put off doing the painting because I just wasn’t sure how I wanted to go about it. Pinterest was again my best friend and I found several suggestions for how to create my vision.

And then, I just decided to do it and let the chips fall where they may.

BACKGROUND:

I painted my canvas with a coat of white acrylic craft paint and while I was doing it, I had a thought. After locating my leftover bedroom wall paint, which was white with GLITTER added, I put a coat on the canvas! The glitter is faint but when the light hits it just right, BLING!

TRANSFERRING:

I thought about free-handing the poem, but that really scared me, so I typed the poem into my Word program on my computer. Looking at fonts, I tried to find one that resembled Mr. Menace’s handwriting, but none of them were messy enough. ha! I finally chose a font that looks like handwriting, called Journal, and I downloaded it for free from HERE.

The font was small so I enlarged it to 150 and printed it out. I then placed the sheets of paper onto  my 24″x36″ canvas and immediately knew the words were not big enough, so I then enlarged the font size to 250 and it fit perfectly!

The next step was to turn the sheets of paper over and shade the letters in pencil on the back side of the paper. This was a little bit time consuming but not bad.

When I finished, I turned the paper back right side up and placed them on the canvas and began tracing over the letters on the front side. This made the pencil marks on the back side transfer to the canvas. I had to place some books underneath the canvas to give it a firm backing to do this.

Luckily, I did not have to draw any lines on my canvas. Because my font was so big, only one word printed per page, so I was able to line up the top edge of the paper with the top edge of the canvas for the first line of the poem. For the other lines, I lined up the top edge of the paper with the bottom of the words on the previous line. This kept everything equal distance.

PAINTING:

Once I had the faint outlines on the canvas, it was time to paint.

I was very shaky at first. But after I did a little bit, I relaxed and got much better. Besides, I wanted it to look handwritten.

But bending over at the dining table sure was making my back hurt!

Thank Goodness Mr. Menace arrived home soon and was able to help me get my easel set up. It was smooth sailing from there!

As the afternoon wore on, and it began to get a little darker in the room, I finally realized that my reading glasses would probably help me to stay within the lines. Duh…

*This poem is copyrighted and may not be used or duplicated without the author’s consent. Excerpts and Links are permissible with proper credit.*

I am very happy with the way it turned out.

**Thank you Mary at The Boondocks Blog for featuring my DIY Wall Art at the Sweet Inspiration Link Party!**

And I love having the poem hanging where I can read it every single day as soon as I wake up.

This man. He knows how to romance a woman.

Homestead Blog Hop

Well, I’ve had it in my mind for several years now… LOL I’m a little slow. It was mostly fear of messing it up that held me back. Thanks! 🙂

Thank you Jen! Your post really did give me the push to get it done. I had planned it for a couple of years but never followed through. Thanks for visiting and commenting. 🙂

1. Wendi @ H2OBungalow says:

This is such a sweet way to keep a special memory close by! I’m a sucker for things like this. I had my husbands wedding band engraved with a special word we had when we were dating after being friends for 14 years. I’m sure he feels special that you added this to your decor..

Hello Wendi, You are the first Wendi that I have met that spells it like my sister’s is spelled. Thanks so much for visiting. I read the poem every morning now and I just love it. 🙂

2. Peabea says:

Wow, I love this idea. I have some canvas that I was going to paint, but like this idea much better as a gift maybe to my DIL for her birthday or just quotes for my room. Thank so much for sharing your technique. ~hugs ‘n giggles ‘n scribbles~

Peabea@Peabea Scribbles

3. sizzlesue15 says:

I love this idea although I’m not sure I would have the patience. It looks so effective. I would like to do one showing all the countries I have visited. Thanks so much for linking up with us at #overthemoon. I’ve shared on social media. Have a great week and look forward to you link up next week.
    Sue
    Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

Hi Sue. I like your idea. You could certainly speed up the process by using a projector to get your chosen words on the canvas. OR just freehand it! Thanks for visiting. 🙂

Hi Carol. The only time consuming part was getting my outline on the canvas. It could be sped up greatly with a projector. I loved doing it though, and even more, I LOVE reading it every day. Thanks for visiting. 🙂

4. thededicatedhouse says:

Awe, that is really, really sweet! So beautiful. Thank you for sharing this at Make it Pretty! Have a lovely weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

5. Leanna says:

Song lyrics make wonderful home art. The lyrics paint a picture in your mind, I love the irony of that thought. Your art work is very moving.

6. Jodie says:

THIS is AWESOME – my daughter is totally into poetry – am going to share as an idea for her room. I think she’s going to love!
    Thanks for sharing & inspiring me at Reader Tip Tuesday. Hope to see you at this week’s party xo

Thanks so much Jodie. I am so pleased to finally be sharing my lovely poem with the world. I kept it in my heart and my wallet for so long that sharing it is the greatest. Be sure to let me know what your daughter does with her poetry! 🙂

Oh that would be awesome Amy! I love that idea. I can’t wait to see what you do. Please share with me when you do. 🙂