July 31? How did that Happen?

July 31 already? How did that happen?? It’s been a busy world for me and Mr. Menace so I guess that’s how August managed to slip right up on me.

Here are a few things that have transpired in July:

A NEW GRANDDAUGHTER ARRIVED:

grandbabies, bottling honey, family visits, summer flowers, sightseeing Alabama

Grandchild #8

grandbabies, bottling honey, family visits, summer flowers, sightseeing Alabama

Her name is Dorothy Ruth.

grandbabies, bottling honey, family visits, summer flowers, sightseeing Alabama

She will be called Dottie.

BOTTLING HONEY:

bottling honey, pure raw honey, Angry Bee Apiary

We harvested just under 5 gallons.

bottling honey, pure raw honey, Angry Bee Apiary

This filled 55 one pound bottles.

bottling honey, pure raw honey, Angry Bee Apiary

Read all about the ANGRY BEE APIARY’s first Honey Harvest HERE.

FAMILY VISIT:

Hot Tub swimming

My brother and his family came for a short visit.

Travel Alabama, Lock 17, Burchfield Park

It was fun to have boys around the house!

Bubble Fun!

Learning to drive a zero turn mower.

Sightseeing Alabama:

Lock and Dam, Warrior River, Burchfield Park

We took our visitors down to Lock 17.

Lock and Dam, Warrior River, Burchfield Park

With all the rain, there was quite a bit of water coming over the dam.

Lock and Dam, Warrior River, Burchfield Park

We hoped to see a barge come through the lock, but were not so lucky.

Lock 17, Warrior River, Lock and Dam

Rendering Beeswax:

Rendering beeswax, honey harvest, robbing bees

While my sister-in-law was here, we decided to try our hand at rendering the beeswax that was taken out of the hives when we made our first honey harvest.

Rendering Beeswax, Honey Harvest, robbing honey bees

After slowly heating the wax in water until it melts, it was strained and poured into this pan to cool.

Rendering Beeswax, Honey Harvest, Robbing honey bees

It was fascinating to watch as it hardened into a clean beautiful chunk of beeswax.

Rendering Beeswax, Honey Harvest, robbing honey bees

This picture is borrowed from my sister in law, Lisa. I knew she would put this to good use, so our first batch of beeswax went home with her.

And so, here I find myself at the end of July and starting August. I love summer. Do you?

Homestead Blog Hop

Marilyns Treats

The whole honey/wax process is fascinating and I’m still thinking about it! And admiring my wax. πŸ™‚ I LOVE the picture of all the bottles of honey! I hope they sell well!

I am still a bit confused about the whole process myself. LOL I hope you don’t mind that I used your picture! xxoo

2. sizzlesue15 says:

What a wonderful July and how could you top a new granddaughter! Thanks for sharing your July with us at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty Congratulations to you all.

3. Carol ("Mimi") says:

Sounds like you have a busy and eventful July. Congratulations on your new grand baby! Thank you for linking up at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I’m sharing your link on social media.
    Carol (β€œMimi”) from Home with Mimi

4. mommyhon333 says:

First, let me say I love your attitude in your little bio bit. What kind of dancing are you trying out? How did you like zip-lining? I am approaching life these days with a similar outlook.

Congratulations on your adorable grandbabe numero ocho! Dottie is lovely. A really pretty baby girl. And I know she is just as loved and treasured as grandbaby number one is. I have two granddaughters and have been in pig heaven since the first time I held them.

Interested in your honey harvest, too. We are trying our hand at making wine with the first harvest of peaches from our two-year-old peach tree. Fun to expand our horizons!

Thank you so much! I am sure enjoying learning new things. We learned to swing dance over ten years ago, but have been taking some group classes that waltz, fox trot, and other ballroom dances. I really love it and would like to take couples classes so we could learn more.
      I loved zip lining. It was rather exhilarating. I wouldn’t mind doing it again sometime. We also did a rappel which I really enjoyed even MORE!
      The honey harvest was kindof fun! It was our first and quite a learning experience.
      Thanks for your visit! I’d love to chat more. Leave me some contact info. πŸ™‚

• mommyhon333 says:

Thank you for sharing more about yourself. I would adore taking swing classes. But I think line-dancing might be the limit for us. And it will be hard to get my hubs to agree to even that. I had a mini-melt-down mid-zip line experience. Had done eight stations then panicked!! Ha! Talked myself down and continued to the end. I think I woke up from the trance I was in during stations 1-8!! Rappeling would certainly be exhilarating…possibly downright scary. Bravo!!!

I blog at onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com and I am looking to do a grandma post for Grandparents’ Day in September. My email is mommyhon333@hotmail.com. We have done a few other series that you might like to join. Sentence a Day, write one sentence to describe each day for a month, post on the first Thursday of the following month. Not too late to start now for August!!! And we do bucket list posts. They are seasonal. So we create a list of activities/goals/dreams for a three month period, publish the list, then do monthly updates. We will reveal our fall bucket list on 9/21. Please let me know if you would be interested in joining up for any of these. I think Amy is interested in the Grandparents’ Day. Would love to have you both join for any or all of these!!

I love line dancing too. Back when I was single I went to a lot of line dancing classes. I haven’t found any to attend where I live now. πŸ™ I am headed over to your blog now to see what’s happening. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

5. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Congratulations on your grandbaby Nikki. I can’t believe you have eight grandchildren. You are truly blessed. I am so happy to see that you have harvested your honey. That is really impressive as I go running the other way every time I see any of those bee boxes. And the wax, well is it a coincidence that I went and bought some last week. I’ll be making furniture wax with it soon. Congrats again and enjoy your summer.

Mary, I hope to find time to do something with the wax myself next time. I just knew I was too busy right now and to let it sit around and go to waste would be a crying shame! So my sister in law was delighted to help me out there. The bees don’t bother you unless he is actually into the hives and disrupting their life. Then they will get after you. But on normal days, I never even know they are there. πŸ™‚

6. Grammy Dee says:

Your month was very full, huh? Congrats on the new baby girl, so precious! The honey looks tasty! What will you all do with the beeswax? Oh, and are you selling the honey?

OH it was wonderfully full,just hard to find time to blog. I am sure you know how that is Grammy. Most of the beeswax we put right back into the hive and the bees will reuse it. What we did get this time was just extra that was hanging on the outside of frames. I do hope to one day get enough that I can actually do something with it. And yes, we are selling the honey. First sales were reserved for family and coworkers, but now its open to the public too. Thanks for visiting and commenting! πŸ™‚

7. Grammy Dee says:

Oops, forgot to say –> Thank you Nikki for linking up at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I shared your post on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter.

Thank you Teresa. We didn’t harvest much beeswax, only the “extra” that was hanging from the outside of the frames. The bees can reuse the wax that was inside the frame. The wax that we rendered will be used by my sister in law in salves that she makes. I plan to use some at a later date to make some decorative items to sell. Thanks for visiting. πŸ™‚