Infatuated with Window Boxes

I am infatuated with window boxes.

Thanks to Elizabeth at Family Farm School for featuring my window box ideas!

INSPIRATION:

window boxes, container gardening

I like the way evergreens look in a window box, and I like a green and white color scheme.

window boxes, container gardening

A big burst of color also appeals to me.

Thank you Katherine at The Dedicated House for featuring my window box ideas! See her blog post and many more ideas HERE.

FIRST ATTEMPT:

When I purchased my own house back in 2006, I loved it’s character. It was an adorable little cottage with a lot of curb appeal. You can read about it HERE.

Gardening, Window Boxes

Just about the first thing I did to update the backyard, was to add window boxes. I have always loved the charm of window boxes and I thought it was the perfect compliment to my cottage home.

Gardening, Window Boxes

These particular window boxes were on clearance at Target and I loved the X design. I had purchased a patio set and the chairs also had the X design on the backs so I figured it was meant to be!

Gardening, Window Boxes

Thanks also for making me a featured blogger on Over the Moon!

Marilyns Treats

I later added “window boxes” to the deck rails. It was always fun to plant them every spring. But by summer it was so hot that the plants couldn’t usually survive the heat.

Gardening, Window Boxes

There were some of these same type window boxes on the deck railing at our new house when we moved it. I had the same problem in the heat of the summer, so I don’t plant them any more.

CURRENT ATTEMPT:

But I have come up with a new idea…

I am wondering if I can add window boxes to these windows on the back of our new house. It would be beautiful… like the one below:

They are very high up and would have to be watered and even planted from the inside I think. I know I would love the look, but would I love the trouble they’d be?

Window Boxes, Container Gardening, Decks

I saw a photo in a magazine many years ago, that really captured my attention. It was a couple of apartment buildings with a courtyard in between. All the apartments had small balconies that faced the courtyard. Every single balcony had window boxes or pots ofΒ Silver Falls Dichondra hanging down towards the beautiful courtyard. It was stunning! It made me think of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Do any of you have high window boxes on your 2nd story windows? Are they just TOO much of a pain to deal with?

Amaze Me Monday

Marilyns Treats

I love window boxes! We had them on our porch at our last house. But I haven’t done them on our current porch. I tried putting window boxes of marigolds under the windows of the chicken coop. They looked great but turned out to be such a hassle to go out and water them, with everything else going on.
    The most beautiful window boxes I’ve ever seen were when I was in Switzerland.

I love them too. And if I could just do it myself, I wouldn’t hesitate to give it a try. But since the house is brick, I will need Mr. Menace’s help, so I’m not sure. BTW, I wonder if you use some of those water saving crystals in your coop window boxes it wouldn’t be as bad? (diapers work the same they say) Maybe one day you can try again. Plus, I think empty window boxes would look cute on the coop!

2. actualconversationswithmyhusband says:

I feel like I comment the same thing every time, but… Dammit, now I need window boxes! How did I never realize that window boxes are what’s missing from my life? The front windows are full length, so not window box friendly, but the back windows…

Now I just need to find someone else to actually plant and care for whatever goes in the boxes. Because there’s nothing sadder than dead window boxes.

3. Amy Johnson says:

I’ve seen people that had window boxes that high up and what they did was add a lot of ivy so that it hung down past the window box three or four feet. I don’t know if watering would be a pain for you or not. It depends how hard your windows are to open. If you used a potting mix that retains water, that would help cut down on your watering.

Thanks Amy. I really do want to try, and if it were easier to install, I’d just DO IT! But since the house is brick its going to take some man power. sigh…. I will continue to think about it and look for the perfect boxes before I decide. πŸ™‚

Thank you for the compliment Helen. The heat is a problem here too and this brick wall gets WARM! That is one reason I am afraid to do it. Thanks for visiting me. πŸ™‚

4. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

So I’m going to suggest something which is blasphemy for such a talented gardener like yourself. You can add faux plants in areas where the sun will kill them. That way you will not be limited to what colors or plants you add. Of course real is the best, but this is the next best thing.

I am sure you are right and I will have to do that some of the time. From a distance it probably will look fine. And they are so high up anyway! Thanks for your input Mary. πŸ™‚

5. Carol ("Mimi") says:

I also think that window boxes are lovely. I’ve never tried to install and maintain window boxes on my own house, so I’m not sure how much work they would require. Thanks for sharing these inspiring photos!

Hi Carol. I have had window boxes on several houses that I have lived in, but never before on windows that can’t be reached from the ground. So I am hesitant! Thanks for visiting. πŸ™‚

6. Daphne says:

Good Afternoon Nikki, I absolutely adore window boxes and I really feel they are worth the effort. I have just moved house, so window boxes are not adorning my windows as yet, but come next year they will be filled with trailing geraniums looking glorious.
    When I lived in Germany, many years ago, I had window boxes and I used to water them from inside…. the only thing was I had to be careful about watering as I lived in an apartment and I had to make sure the water did not leak onto the head of a passerby. I got very expert at it….. I watered in the evening.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

Hello Daphne! I love hearing about your past experience of tending your window boxes. Please show me your window boxes when you get them at your current house. In fact, if you have pics of your Germany window boxes I’d LOVE to see them too! Thanks so much for your input and your visit. πŸ™‚

7. Cindy says:

I agree that window boxes are beautiful, but imagine them to be a lot of work and hard to maintain, especially on a second level. Give it a go and keep us updated!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

Hi Cindy, Window boxes do take a lot of watering, but not really any more work than any other potted plants. But I am still hesitant on these because of the height. I would already have install some IF they were ground level. Thanks for visiting. And I will definitely let you know how it turns out. πŸ™‚

8. mommyhon333 says:

Oh, I love window boxes and have never ever had any. Afraid our climate just isn’t suitable to pots or window boxes of flowers..maybe, cacti! But I am thinking you need to go for it!! They would be lovely in those upper windows and would add some color. Might need to wait til spring, though!

If only I didn’t have to get help to get them hung, and could just go do it myself… haha Mr. Menace loves to help me, but sometimes I just prefer to get it done my way. I really do want to try it though so I think I will. Thanks for you input “mommyhon” πŸ™‚

I don’t see the 2nd story window boxes in the US, but the pictures I see of Greece and other countries sure seem to do it. So why can’t I?? LOL I am guessing that the heat is going to be a detriment, but I think I am going to give it a shot anyway. πŸ™‚

Hi Stephanie, I have some plantings growing to throw some shade on this wall, so I am hoping that in a year or two it won’t be so hot and window boxes might thrive…. it may be wishful thinking though. Thanks for visiting. πŸ™‚

No Carol, Charleston is on my list of places to go, but I’ve not been there yet. I will go search your blog though to find your pictures. Thanks for the suggestion! πŸ™‚

Thank you! I really want to try them, but I just don’t know if it’s wise. But I am going to shop for the perfect ones and give it a try. πŸ™‚

Thanks Jodie. I’d love to see your window box! And thanks for the party reminder too. I signed up for your email subscription, but I’m guessing it may be going to a different email address. I need to check that. See you at the party. πŸ™‚