Infatuated with Window Boxes

I am infatuated with window boxes.

INSPIRATION:

window boxes, container gardening

I like the way evergreens look in a window box, and I like a green and white color scheme.

window boxes, container gardening

A big burst of color also appeals to me.

FIRST ATTEMPT:

When I purchased my own house back in 2006, I loved it’s character. It was an adorable little cottage with a lot of curb appeal. You can read about it HERE.

Gardening, Window Boxes

Just about the first thing I did to update the backyard, was to add window boxes. I have always loved the charm of window boxes and I thought it was the perfect compliment to my cottage home.

Gardening, Window Boxes

These particular window boxes were on clearance at Target and I loved the X design. I had purchased a patio set and the chairs also had the X design on the backs so I figured it was meant to be!

Gardening, Window Boxes

I later added “window boxes” to the deck rails. It was always fun to plant them every spring. But by summer it was so hot that the plants couldn’t usually survive the heat.

Gardening, Window Boxes

There were some of these same type window boxes on the deck railing at our new house when we moved it. I had the same problem in the heat of the summer, so I don’t plant them any more.

CURRENT ATTEMPT:

But I have come up with a new idea…

I am wondering if I can add window boxes to these windows on the back of our new house. It would be beautiful… like the one below:

They are very high up and would have to be watered and even planted from the inside I think. I know I would love the look, but would I love the trouble they’d be?

Window Boxes, Container Gardening, Decks

I saw a photo in a magazine many years ago, that really captured my attention. It was a couple of apartment buildings with a courtyard in between. All the apartments had small balconies that faced the courtyard. Every single balcony had window boxes or pots ofΒ Silver Falls Dichondra hanging down towards the beautiful courtyard. It was stunning! It made me think of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Do any of you have high window boxes on your 2nd story windows? Are they just TOO much of a pain to deal with?

Amaze Me Monday

Marilyns Treats

I love window boxes! We had them on our porch at our last house. But I haven’t done them on our current porch. I tried putting window boxes of marigolds under the windows of the chicken coop. They looked great but turned out to be such a hassle to go out and water them, with everything else going on.
    The most beautiful window boxes I’ve ever seen were when I was in Switzerland.

I love them too. And if I could just do it myself, I wouldn’t hesitate to give it a try. But since the house is brick, I will need Mr. Menace’s help, so I’m not sure. BTW, I wonder if you use some of those water saving crystals in your coop window boxes it wouldn’t be as bad? (diapers work the same they say) Maybe one day you can try again. Plus, I think empty window boxes would look cute on the coop!

2. actualconversationswithmyhusband says:

I feel like I comment the same thing every time, but… Dammit, now I need window boxes! How did I never realize that window boxes are what’s missing from my life? The front windows are full length, so not window box friendly, but the back windows…

Now I just need to find someone else to actually plant and care for whatever goes in the boxes. Because there’s nothing sadder than dead window boxes.

3. Amy Johnson says:

I’ve seen people that had window boxes that high up and what they did was add a lot of ivy so that it hung down past the window box three or four feet. I don’t know if watering would be a pain for you or not. It depends how hard your windows are to open. If you used a potting mix that retains water, that would help cut down on your watering.

Thanks Amy. I really do want to try, and if it were easier to install, I’d just DO IT! But since the house is brick its going to take some man power. sigh…. I will continue to think about it and look for the perfect boxes before I decide. πŸ™‚

Thank you for the compliment Helen. The heat is a problem here too and this brick wall gets WARM! That is one reason I am afraid to do it. Thanks for visiting me. πŸ™‚

4. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

So I’m going to suggest something which is blasphemy for such a talented gardener like yourself. You can add faux plants in areas where the sun will kill them. That way you will not be limited to what colors or plants you add. Of course real is the best, but this is the next best thing.

I am sure you are right and I will have to do that some of the time. From a distance it probably will look fine. And they are so high up anyway! Thanks for your input Mary. πŸ™‚

5. Carol ("Mimi") says:

I also think that window boxes are lovely. I’ve never tried to install and maintain window boxes on my own house, so I’m not sure how much work they would require. Thanks for sharing these inspiring photos!

Hi Carol. I have had window boxes on several houses that I have lived in, but never before on windows that can’t be reached from the ground. So I am hesitant! Thanks for visiting. πŸ™‚