I do not like following the crowd. It makes me feel like a copycat and I much prefer being unique and the first one to do something.

One day Mr. Menace and I went on a drive and ended up at his grandparents old home site. I immediately noticed daffodils blooming where the circle drive used to be. It was overgrown and even had mature trees growing, but the shape that the daffs were in definitely pointed to a circular drive. I wanted to explore more.

Gardening, Daffodils, Old homesite

As we wandered into the woods, through the briers, we located some of the foundation of the house, just a few blocks.

Gardening, Daffodils, Old homesite

We also saw an old heater.

Gardening, Daffodils, Old homesite

Almost hidden, and definitely camouflaged, by the huge vines, I found an old bedframe.

Gardening, Daffodils, Old homesite

A lot of people were re-purposing old bed frames into flower beds, and I knew I didn’t want to follow that trend.

Gardening, Daffodils, Old homesite

That is, until I found Grandmother Gwin’s bed frame.

Gardening, Daffodils, Old homesite

It was going to take some saws, and pruners and a lot of work to get that bedframe, but I was certainly coming back to get it. In the mean time, we went exploring a little more.

Gardening, Daffodils, Old homesite

I would love to live on a piece of land that had a creek behind it. It was so peaceful. We sat there on the rocks, listening to the water falling, Mr. Menace with his memories.

The headboard is rusted into so to keep this part from beating and banging against the paint on my car, I used a rag and my glove. Worked perfectly. In fact, it cheerily waved to all the traffic behind me.

We came back with shovels, pruners, and saws. The headboard was rusted in two and to protect my car from this sharp jagged edge that didn’t fit into the car, I rigged up this friendly waving protectant. Hopefully, it gave a few people behind me a laugh as it bounced and waved all the way home.

A few of Grandmother Gwin’s daffodils now live at my house.

This enamel pitcher also came from the old homesite. I can’t be sure that it belonged to Grandmother but I sure like to think that it did.

Gardening, Herb bed, Old homesite

I said I wasn’t going to do it.

Gardening, Herb bed, Old homesite

Because EVERYONE was doing it.

Gardening, herb bed, Old homesite

And I don’t like following the crowd.

Herbs, Garden, Herb bed

But I couldn’t help myself.

Herbs, Garden, Herb bed, Bed Frame Garden

Herbs, Garden, Herb bed, Bed Frame Garden

Herbs, Garden, Herb bed, Bed Frame Garden

I love my new herb bed.

Herbs, Garden, Herb bed

I think next spring, I might plant my herbs to resemble a quilt.

Do you follow the trends?

Over the Moon

Dishing It & Digging It

Happiness is Homemade

Homestead Blog Hop

Bloggers Pit Stop

Friday Feature

Sweet Inspiration

Looks like a fun property to explore! Hunter would love examining that heater. I am just like you in not wanting to follow the crowd. But … I do love your herb bed. And because it is an actual family piece – that makes it DIFFERENT and special. πŸ™‚

It was fun! But was SO overgrown that it took probably close to an hour to get the bed frame freed. If we want to go back for the heater next time you come, I am sure it will still be there. LOL I am kindof wishing my herb bed was a king size…. then it’d be easier to make a quilt of plants. πŸ™‚

2. Ricki Treleaven says:

The pun isn’t lost on me….”flower bed.” I love it! I do not follow trends unless I really like them. πŸ™‚ And if I really love them, I hang onto them after everyone else has moved on.

What a great way to put it Ricki! I feel the same. Grandmother Gwin’s bed frame will be in my yard for many years, so this IS a trend I’ll be hanging on to. I love when you drop visit for a quick visit. πŸ™‚

3. Clearissa Coward says:

What a treasure. You found so many good treasures at your grandmother’s old homestead. I loved the way you tranported the bed with the gardening glove. And the herb bed is really cute. What you did totally original. πŸ™‚

Thanks Clearissa! I love antiques, but even better when its family. That glove was bouncing up and down all the way down the highway! haha Thanks for visiting. πŸ™‚

Thank you Kathrine. Even though I was hesitant at first, I am really liking it. I’d love to see yours when you do it. πŸ™‚

4. Kim says:

I think there is something so special about having family heirlooms around, especially flowers! And I am not a copycat either, but sometimes and idea is so good you just have to go for it. Looks great!

5. Nina says:

Hi Nikki – what a fun adventure! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by to visit me at Vintage Mama’s Cottage. I’m linking up to a few other parties I discovered from my little visit to your neighborhood ;o) Hope to connect with you again soon, Nina @ Vintage Mama’s Cottage

PS I’m with you on not following the crowd . . . I usually don’t even know what the latest trends are until long after they have passed me by and then if I see something I like, I’ll try it out and then discover that it’s “old hat” by that time!

Thanks so much Peggy! I am loving it and I am excited to play around with the plantings and see if I can make it look like a quilt pattern. πŸ™‚

Mr. Menace thought I was just a bit crazy when I said I wanted it but he was all for it when he realized I was serious. Thanks Joanna. πŸ™‚

Oh I agree Maryjo! I would never had done the “flower bed” with just any ole bed frame. It took finding Grandmother Gwin’s bed. Thanks for you kind comments. πŸ™‚

6. Florence says:

Gwin, this gave me a chuckle. I totally agree with you…I don’t like to follow the crowd either, but sometimes I do anyway…haha. Impressed you found the bed frame in the woods. That awesome pitcher was in the woods too? What a find! I like the way you have it displayed on the birdbath. Oh come on…a flower “bed” isn’t so bad…LOL.

Yes it was a fun time Teresa! I want to go back and get more flowers and maybe some rocks. Thanks for visiting with me! πŸ™‚

7. Natasha Nicholes (@NatashaNicholes) says:

I’ve NEVER seen this trend before, but I do understand not wanting to follow the crowd! It’s a BEAUTIFUL garden bed, and it’s giving me quite a few ideas! I love the art of re-purposing items from family members long gone, and I think you did it in such a beautiful way. Exploring areas where family members used to live also make me smile very big! Thanks for linking up with the Homestead Blog Hop!