Sentence a Day ~ August 2017

My August in a Sentence a Day:

August 1

Rejoicing on this 5 year anniversary of Mr. Menace’s quadruple bypass and thankful for the ever advancing knowledge of medicine.

quadruple bypass, thoracic surgery, heart surgery, hit the knee

August 2

Feeling of pride and contentment from a job well done for the past week and a half.

August 3

Getting a budget in order for the month feels kindof good.

August 4

I love dancing with my honey on date night to the live music of Razz ma Tazzย at Bar 31.

Dancing, Bar 31, Razz ma Tazz

August 5

I almost let the birds beat me out of any fig preserves this year! Note to self: check fig trees in July.

August 6

I wish I was with my mama today as it is her wedding anniversary and I am positive she could use a hug.

parents wedding anniversary, August 6, 1954

August 7

Short staffed this week with the yearly conference happening, but the customers keep calling anyway.

August 8

I was once asked what would indicate to me that I had “made it” in life. My reply was “to be able to afford weekly manicures, or even monthly pedicures.” #notthereyet

luxury, pampered, pedicure

August 9

Aren’t Wednesdays suppose to be slow days at work???

August 10

It’s finally 4:21 pm and the end of the work day is in sight and I am hoping the rain holds off until after dark so I can relax in the hot tub for a while.

August 11

I am excited to see Mr. Menace tonight since he has been away all week at a business conference. Although I suspect our date night will be preempted by his lingering sinus infection.

August 12

Our little town had its first ever Farmers Market today and it was a huge success. I hope to have my garden up and going by next spring so I can participate and not just buy stuff, but here’s what I scored:

Hueytown Harvest Farmers Market, Farmers Market, Garden Harvest

August 13

It’s my brother’s birthday and I just cannot figure out how that aggravating boy that teased me and annoyed me and was a general pain you know where, became a 60 year old man. I love you Bubba.

August 14

Bacon & eggs, and Biscuits & Figs. It’s what’s for supper.

August 15

Called my mama. Oh to be like her.

August 16

Spent 1/2 my lunch hour in the garden center at Lowe’s and bought what they had left in the herb department.

August 17

Found some delightfully blue fall flowers at Dollar General! BLUE!!! So I hit all 5 Dollar Generals that are within 5 miles of the office. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 18

Happy 80th Birthday Mama! You are the best.

August 19

It’s a beautiful Saturday and I’ve worked on my Herb Bed, but it’s HOT outside!

August 20

We are driving to Nashville today, to my daughters house which is in the Eclipse Totality area. I wasn’t totally enthused at first, to spend my birthday this way, but it is probably a once in a lifetime chance to see a total eclipse. (And writing this in hindsight, I am extremely glad I got to see it!)

August 21

I am happy to be 56.

August 22

Hair color day I love you.

August 23

My whole forearm aches. I got stung by a yellow jacket the other day and those things HURT!

August 24

Granddaughter’s middle school football game. But I’m just watching the cheerleader. ๐Ÿ™‚ She is on the bottom of the second lift from the left.

August 25

I’m glad it’s date night. I am looking forward to some good food. Did you see my favorite restaurants HERE?

August 26

Spent the entire day outside: working on my herb bed, mowing grass, rearranging outdoor furniture and pots. Perfect day.

Herbs, Garden, Herb bed

August 27

Visited with a good friend today. She seemed like her old self, before the dementia.

August 28

I am absolutely positively sure that I answered one million and one phone calls today.

August 29

Today, I totally dressed down (read:ย sloppy) and SURPRISE! we had visitors come to the office.

August 30

I am not ready to give up summer! But I sure have seen some cute fall decor at the stores. I feel a shopping trip coming on this long weekend.

August 31

Ah….. chicken nachos, I love you.

This post is part of a groupย Sentence a Day post. Click the link below to share your post. ย Even if you don’t have a post to share, you can click the link below to visit any or all the other Sentence a Day posts for August.

1. sizzlesue15 says:

Hi Nikki! What a lovely month and so much to be thankful for. My husband had a triple by-pass back in 2000 and it is amazing what medical science can achieve. I loved your date night and the cheerleaders (with the special one :)) all look to be having so much fun. Have a wonderful September x

It was a good month Sue! And I rather like this way of jotting it down and seeing what a good month it actually was! I enjoyed participating and reading everyone’s short version. (I don’t often get short versions hahaha) ๐Ÿ™‚

I tell you what! I had forgotten just how bad a yellow jacket sting hurts! And yes, it was a great month. Thanks Debbie. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. mommyhon333 says:

What a fabulous birthday gift…an eclipse. I have heard people say that would give someone the moon if they could. Sounds like you got the moon and the sun!

I really would like to have a raised herb bed next year. I am growing basil and cilantro on the kitchen window sill but really would like to have a variety of things. Is your herb bed raised? Does it require a lot of work? I enjoy being outside, like you, but don’t relish having another big job.

Hallelujah on your the anniversary of your husband’s successful surgery. With all of the miracles of modern medicine, why, oh why, can’t we get a cure for cancer!!?

Thank you for joining us, sweet friend.

Mommyhon I LOVE your name! My herb bed is not raised, but I have had one that was in the past. I live in Alabama and raised beds dry out VERY quickly here. I prefer not to have to water that often. Do you live in a cooler area? I am sure it would be better if you do. Herbs are much better for cooking if you keep them from blooming so really the only work is to pinch off any buds and to weed a bit. And of course with basil especially, if you are pinching off some to use, then there isn’t much worry about buds.
      I sure enjoyed your visit and look forward to many more! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Tamara/My Retirement Project says:

Hi Nikki, I so enjoyed reading your August Sentence A Day post and getting to know you a little bit. I love how southern your post reads – it gave me a wonderful glimpse into your life in a region of the country I’ve only begun visiting recently. I particular enjoyed your reference to having weekly pedicures as a sign that you’d made it – so cute! And I say that as someone who had ‘Get My FIRST Manicure’ as a Summer Bucket List item, then totally failed to do so!

Looking forward to your September sentences!

Thanks so much Tamara. I had to go back and re-read my own post to see exactly how it could read southern. haha I am excited to hear that you have started traveling to the south. We have a lot to offer. And, in fact, I have a travel section here on my blog that is exclusively Alabama travel. I know its not on most peoples touristy places list, but it is my goal to show the world just what a beautiful place it is. Thanks for visiting and your wonderful comments. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. leannelc says:

I always enjoy these wind up posts (and especially the pictures that go with them!) it gives me a glimpse into other bloggers’ lives and that’s always fun.

Hi Leanne. They are interesting aren’t they! I have enjoyed reading them all too. Although I think I might be the only person in the world that doesn’t like to run. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Nikki you are so funny! First of all Happy Belated Birthday. And you did have quite an eventful month, between the birthdays and the eclipse. And it sounds like work seems to be bringing you down a bit, or just keeping you too busy?

Thanks Mary. It was a nice month. The thing with my job is that its feast or famine. I’ll have weeks of no phone calls and then BAM! everybody calls on the same day. haha ๐Ÿ™‚