Fall New England Trip ~ Part 1

Fall New England Trip

We left our home airport in Birmingham, Alabama, early on Sunday morning, October 8. The first flight was a very short hop over to Atlanta where we boarded for Portland, Maine. I was tired but WAY too excited to sleep in anticipation of our fall New England trip.

Fall New England Trip, Southerners in New EnglandOur brother in law, Ed, reserved his Dad’s timeshare and he & Mr. Menace’s sister, Lisa, invited us to tag along on their trip. We could not turn down free accommodations and were very excited to join them on this adventure since none of us had been to the northeast.

Portland Maine

PORTLAND MAINE:

Portland Maine

We rented a minivan at the airport and hit the roads, where we were immediately greeted by fall color right outside the airport!

Portland Maine

First on the agenda was lunch. We had gotten up at 3 am and had a meager breakfast in the Birmingham airport, so we decided to eat while we were still in Portland before we drove up into the mountains to our condo.

Portland Maine

Ed was our navigator, driver, and chooser of good eating places and he excelled at his job! He drove us to the waterfront and we ate at DiMillo’s. The “building” began life as a ferry in 1941, and was purchased by the DiMillo family and converted into the floating restaurant in 1982. According to their website, it is:

“One of the largest such restaurants in the country, her overall length is 206 feet, with a beam of 65 feet. She weighs 701 tons and boasts a -horsepower steam engine (but we promise not to fire it up while you’re dining). We are able to seat over 600 guests in our First Deck Dining Room, Port Side Lounge, Second Deck Dining Rooms and three Outside Decks.”

Portland Maine, DiMillo's restaurant

I had my very first Lobster Roll and Mr. Menace had the Lobster Mac & Cheese. Both were delicious.

Portland Maine

After our fine meal, the misty rain had stopped and the clouds began to part just in time for the first of MANY photo opportunities.

Portland Maine

Portland Maine

Portland Maine

Portland Maine

Portland Maine

LINCOLN NEW HAMPSHIRE:

By this time, we were getting a bit tired and we still had a two hour drive, so we loaded up and headed north to Lincoln, New Hampshire.

Fall in New England

I took these photos from the backseat of the minivan, through the windshield, with the zoom, so the quality of the photos isn’t the best, but even through all that,Β  it is so obvious how beautiful the drive was.

Fall in New England, New Hampshire

Fall in New England, New Hampshire, White Mountains

Fall in New England, New Hampshire, White Mountains

Fall in New England, New Hampshire, White Mountains

Our lunch had been so late, that we skipped supper. We made one more run to get a few snacks from the local Family Dollar Store and then made an early night of it.

Part 2 coming soon!

Have you done the New England fall trip?

Dishing It & Digging It

You’re the Star

Tuesday at our Home

Tuesdays with a Twist

OMHG Wonderful Wednesday

Party in Your PJ’s

Bloggers Pit Stop

On the Edge

Happiness is Homemade

Over the Moon

1. JaneEllen says:

How gorgeous, New England is one of a kind. Sounds like you were already having a great time.What would we do without Family Dollar, Dollar Tree and Dollar General depending on what part of country you’re in. Pretty good photos from back of a van.
    Will be looking forward to seeing Part#2.
    When Mr.Furry still driving truck we got to go to New England one time but it was very early summer.I had always wanted to see it after reading many books centered in New England.
    We got to go way up almost into Canada.He had loads in Maine and CT.Didn’t get to see much of ocean as was more inland. So beautiful, would love to be able to go in Fall.
    Makes me wish we were still in KY as it was close to get to many places from KY. We used to go down to a town shortly before Nashville to a big wonderful Joann’s Etc. Went to Nashville one time to a Country Home magazine show. We went all over,up into Indiana,wherever our urge took us that day.
    Hope your trip was all you wanted it to be.Happy week

It was a great trip! But I wanted another week. I really think it would definitely take 2 weeks…. we didn’t even GET to Boston! My daughter lives in a suburb of Nashville so I go a lot, but not usually for sight seeing. We did spend a weekend there once and it was great! I just love travel, no matter where it is! Thanks for visiting Jane E! πŸ™‚

You will love it Clearissa! Beauty everywhere you look. I’d love to go in the winter time too. Thanks for visiting. πŸ™‚

2. mommyhon333 says:

Oh, I haven’t been back to New England since we left Boston when I was 10. It is on my list of places to visit or revisit, in this case. No where in the world is fall done so beautifully. Lobster and lobster mac and cheese, you say? Mmmmm.

It was perfect! The weather was great and the leaves were beautiful. Not to mention the ocean! Where are you located? πŸ™‚

I love to travel Lisa! In fact, when someone asks, I tell them that I want to be a world traveler when I grow up. πŸ™‚

3. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Nikki I live for New England fall. I am so happy to be here at this time of the year to be able to finally enjoy it in full. The crisp air , the falling leaves. I know I sound silly but when you grow up with something and then don’t have it around it really affects you. The other day we took a drive and it was raining but that did not dampen my enthusiasm for the fall colors. Glad to see you are having such a great time.

I am so glad that you are so happy about your move! And I’ve been saying for years that I want to go to NY but I want someone who lives there to show me around or at least tell me what to see and where to go, because I am not sure this Alabamian could handle sight seeing on her own in NY. NOW I know somebody there! πŸ™‚

4. Michelle Leslie says:

I’ve never been to New England and looking at your beautiful photos I’m seriously missing out. The scenery is just stunning. All those beautiful Fall colors. Wow!!! It looks like a lovely part of the country

Oh I am ready to go back and see more already! It was so different from where we live. I just love seeing new things and places. I bed you’d love it Michelle! πŸ™‚

Hi Patrick! Thanks. It was a colorful trip! I hope you’ll come back for Part 2 which will post next week.
      Our hostess set this blog hop up for a particular group of invited participants only. Most all other blog hops are open to the public though. I do appreciate you asking and hope to see you again soon! πŸ™‚

I do want to visit all 50 states Lorna and I’d love to make it a driving trip, but my husband isn’t that keen. Thanks for reading and part 2 will be up next week. πŸ™‚

Oh wow Victoria, thats about as far a difference as you can get, from the Northeast to the Southeast! Thanks so much for visiting and your comments. πŸ™‚