Are Facebook Friends Real Friends?

Are Facebook Friends Real Friends?

A lot of people talk about Facebook and “pretend” virtual friends. I know what they mean, but my Facebook friends are real friends. We have real conversations. We have common interests. In fact, most of my FB friends came from a gardening group I joined shortly after I started Facebook in 2008.

2009Facebook Friends Meetup

I had my first Facebook Friends Meetup the very next year. Grace and I live about 30 miles or so from each other. We met at the Botanical Gardens for the day. She was lovely and we were instant friends. In fact, we were already friends, this was just the first time we got together. We met again the next month at a plant sale. And then again in 2012.

2012

Thanksgiving 2012, my mama and my sister came to visit for the weekend and we all met our cousin Allen for the very first time. He and mama had email conversed for a while, but none of us had ever met before.

Facebook Friends Meetup

2014

In 2014, my Facebook Friend Suzette mentioned that she was traveling through Alabama and we made plans to meet for lunch.

Facebook Friends Meetups

I didn’t get to spend a whole lot of time with her because they were just passing through but it was awesome to put a voice with the person that I already knew.

2015

Then in 2015, I met one of my favorite gardeners, Heather!

Facebook Friends Meetup

Heather is also an author and she and Mr. Menace both were attending a local book signing event of which I was an organizer. We have been FB friends for many years and had planned a get together back in 2011 which was unavoidably postponed.

2016

As you may or may not know, part of my mission on this blog is to share with the world what a wonderful place Alabama is and I do that by sharing our travels. I have plans to visit all nooks and crannies and all four corners of this great state of Alabama.

Facebook Friends Meetup

In May, 2016, our trip was to north Alabama to Florence where we met up with my long time friend Traci and her husband! She was everything I knew she would be from our friendship on FB.

2017

And as I shared in my Fall New England trip post, I had a two-fer just last month! Lee from Massachusetts, and Jeannie from New Hampshire, long time FB garden friends, agreed to meet us for lunch in Maine.

Facebook Friends Meetup

For the people that don’t like or make fun of our FB friendships, I say, YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING!

Have you had a meetup with Facebook friends?

Share Your Cup

No Rules Weekend

Home & Garden

On the Edge

Friday Features

Happiness is Homemade

Over the Moon

Dishing It & Digging It

You’re the Star

Hearth & Soul

OMHG Wonderful Wednesday

Party in Your PJ’s

Homestead

What a sweet post! I’m trying to think about the FB friends I’ve met in person. I think they have all been T-18 families. We met in the hospital and funerals. Not the cheeriest places but I am so glad to have met them in person.

I think those meetups were VERY important and special. They, for you, were just like my friends in that you have something in common. Something which most of us will never understand fully. You need those kinds of people. πŸ™‚

2. Ricki Treleaven says:

I would probably agree with you, but replace the word “Facebook” with “Blog” friends because I’m not on FB as much as other people. I’ve meet a few of my blog buddies and it has been so much fun! DO you follow several gardening bloggers?

Sweet post, and be careful! If you show-of our state too much there will be a “run-on” our state and it will be too crowded. ;P
    Ricki Treleaven recently posted…A Tale of Two Tables *plus* a WinnerMy Profile

Ricki I totally agree and the next thing on my list for meetups IS meeting some of my new blogging friends! I can’t wait to attend a conference, in fact, I was hoping we could get one going in Birmingham. Are you game???
      I do follow a couple of gardening bloggers, but am always looking for more.
      HAHAHAHA I am going to do my best to make Alabama too crowded. πŸ™‚

Sue, I almost totally used FB for sharing with my family, who is over 600 miles away, what is going on in my life! It is so much easier to show them through pictures. Good to see you again! πŸ™‚

3. Amber Harrop says:

I actually do only have Facebook friends I know until this year when people from groups started adding me but I have let up with a few of them and it has been great to get to known them

Isn’t it wonderful? I love technology! I love that I can show my mama who is 600+ miles away, pictures of things I am doing instantly! And being able to be friends with people from other countries???? Amazing. thanks for stopping by Holly! πŸ™‚

4. Whitney S says:

I met my best friend on facebook. We live in the same city and met through a networking group (I’m a photographer and she’s a model). We met up to do a shoot and have been friends ever since!

5. G&D Blog says:

I love this post. So nice to know that you found friends with same interest. My friends (in real and on Facebook) are just the people that I know for awhile, from work and other same interestes. Im hoping that I would meet some real blogger friends online. πŸ˜πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

-Gerome of G&D Blog

6. Jann Olson says:

I agree that they are real friends. I feel that if you connect on fb, Instagram, or your blog you will probably connect in real life. Those that I have met we have an instant bond, just like we did virtually! My sister always says, is that a real friend or a pretend friend, when I refer to a friend. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

7. Nina Lewis says:

I have only one ‘virtual’ friend on FB. And, I tried to drop in and visit her two years ago but it didn’t work out. I’m still going to try and meet her in person some day! Thanks so much for sharing at our Party in Your PJs link party.