Duck, Duck, Goose! uh…. Swan? (with addendum)

YOUTUBE
YOUTUBE

Mr. Menace has been working out of town for two weeks now. After the first week he told me about an antiques store that he had been into and about some brass swans that he saw there.

After the second week he came in the house with these.

Brass Swan

They stand fifteen inches tall and 17 inches long.

Brass Swan

They are pretty. And Unique!

Brass Swan

He wants to put some acid on them and tarnish them.

Brass Swan

I kind of like them shiny.

But I’m not sure what to do with them.

Brass Swans

Mr. Menace suggested that I put them outside. And I might. Eventually.

Brass Swan

They aren’t something I’d stop and take a second look at. And that’s what is intriguing me about them now: How I might can use them in my decor.

Brass Swan

I need inspiration. What do you think? Do you have any ideas?

ADDENDUM:

I’ve been doing some research trying to find some pictures of rooms with brass swans in the decor, and found this:

MAD MEN!! I drool every time I see Don Draper…. Take a look at the article by clicking on the picture. This brass swan planter was auctioned off and brought $425-$550. (I guess they had two.)Β Mine are much bigger than the one shown.

Thanks to Kathryn at The Dedicated House for featuring this post on Make It Pretty Monday!Β

Inspire Me Monday
On the Edge
Bloggers Pit Stop
Happiness is Homemade

YOUTUBE
YOUTUBE

1. Priscilla says:

I love them!! I can see you using them on a hearth, or in an entry way by a table on the floor, by a plant etc. I think they can add a lot of personality. Also, I like them shiny! have fun πŸ™‚

Hi Pricilla! I like the entryway suggestion! We have extremely wide stairs and they could sit on the stairs without being in the way. Also, this makes me think of the front porch possibilities! Thanks for the suggestions. πŸ™‚

That is a great idea Wendy. I had already planned to just walk around with them this weekend and try them different places outside, but I really like your idea. They will help me find the right spot. πŸ™‚

Maybe I’ll place them around different places and take pictures for a new blog post and then you all vote on them! I am excited for the weekend so I can give some of these ideas a try. Thanks Linda! πŸ™‚

2. Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au says:

They are quite elegant in their own way and definitely look like they need a plant to live with – it’s nice to think that they could go on a patio or something outside if you don’t have the right spot for them anywhere indoors. Thanks so much for linking up with our first #MLSTL party – I’ve shared your post on my social media.

Thanks Leanne. They are large and yes pretty elegant! I am rather anxious to give some of these ideas a try. Thanks for sharing. I have really enjoyed reading and commenting on many of the posts on your Midlife Share Link Party. πŸ™‚

Doorstops might work! But they are rather big for bookends. I’ll be sure to let you know how this all works out Leslie. I too love that Mr. Menace loved them and brought them home. That in itself makes them special. πŸ™‚

3. sizzlesue15 says:

Hi Nikki aren’t they lovely and yes I agree with comments above that they would look great with some greenery. It is nice to have something unique isn’t it? Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at our very first Midlife Share the Love Party and hope to see you next week. #MSTL
    sizzlesue15 recently posted…Blogging Grandmothers Link Party 24My Profile

They are just too big for any bookshelf that I own, Lynda. They are bigger than any I’ve found by googling Ebay and Etsy and all those places. Any way, I am sure I will figure out something and I hope you’ll come back to find out. πŸ™‚

Hi Jean. Thanks for the suggestions. I had planned to try several different places this past weekend, but it rained and I just didn’t get around to it yet. Thanks for stopping by. πŸ™‚

4. Kathleen - Bloggers Lifestyle says:

Love and kisses to your husband for being so thoughtful. I love the swans, swans are so graceful, they deserve to be seen. I like the greenery in your addendum. Maybe a little stand each side of the stairs with some greenery, either live or quality artificial. You had better get them valued ??
    Kathleen
    Blogger’s Pit Stop

I have been doing some research online Kathleen but can’t find any this big! Most are much smaller and many are planters. Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll give them a try. πŸ™‚

Thanks Kelly. I like the bench idea too! I have just put a rustic pink bench in my hall and maybe that should be their first home. Thanks for stopping by. πŸ™‚