Enjoying the Garden in Winter

YOUTUBE
YOUTUBE

Enjoying the Garden in Winter

Winter months can be dreary, especially for an outdoor gal like me. But there are several ways to still enjoy the garden during the colder months of the year.

Bird watching, Feeding Birds, Birder, winter in the garden, enjoying the garden in winter

Our winters in the South are short but we do have some days that are just too miserable to be outside. When that happens, I enjoy my garden by watching the birds through my kitchen window. That’s why these photos are not totally clear: they are taken through the glass and the window screen.

This cutie looks like she’d like to come on inside! She is a Cardinal and she is enjoying sunflower seeds.

Today we also have goldfinch feasting on the sunflower seeds.

And some House finch also.

I have 3 feeders all with different types of seeds to attract different types of birds. This closest feeder has black oil sunflower seeds. The next feeder has thistle seeds. And the last feeder has safflower seeds.

I also have a suet feeder. And that white stuff that you are seeing is some tortilla pieces that I thought they might eat. They aren’t.

Camellia, red flower, winter flower, red camellia,

On a nice cold sunny day, I like to actually get outside and see how my garden looks in person.

Camellia, red flower, winter flower, red camellia, winter garden

There are actually some flowers that bloom in the winter: like this red camellia.

Camellia, red flower, winter flower, red camellia,, winter garden, southern garden

Camellias can be fall, winter, or very early spring bloomers so you have to check each variety for bloom time.

Another flower that blooms in the winter is the pansy.

pansy, yellow flower, winter flower, winter garden, southern garden

They don’t do much right while it is bitter cold, but on the milder days they will show off!

Camellia, purple flower, winter flower, winter garden, southern garden

I have some planted out by my mailbox and also in this antique wheelbarrow.

pansy, yellow flower, winter flower, red camellia,, winter garden, southern garden

At my first house I had a winter jasmine and I want to get some planted in our current yard. They have sweet yellow blooms.

For the real gardener, yard cleanup can be enjoyable. My mature oak trees drop a huge amount of leaves in the fall and it takes me a long while to get them cleaned up.

fall cleanup, raking leaves, composting leaves, burning leaves, oak leaves,

I compost my leaves and use the compost in my garden the next year. You can read how I compost by clickingΒ HERE.

One of my favorite things to do is to relax in the hot tub just before sunset and watch the bird activity.

I had to zoom way in on these photos so the quality is not good.

birding, bird watching, nuthatch

This nuthatch is pecking away on this wood pole.

birding, bird watching, bluebird pair, bluebird box,

This bluebird couple are considering moving into a new home. I suspect the male is the one sitting on the pole and the female is the one with her head in the doorway checking out the floorplan.

birding, bird watching, bluebird pair, bluebird box,

As great as these reasons are, I amΒ  ready for spring. How about you?

Make It Pretty Monday
Happiness is Homemade
Inspire Me Monday
Your’re the Star
Spread the Kindness
OMHG Wonderful Wednesday
Dagmar’s Home
Party in Your PJ’s
Homestead
No Rules Weekend
Bloggers Pit Stop
Friday Features

YOUTUBE
YOUTUBE

The camellias are beautiful! A few of ours bloomed earlier this year but no more since. Seems to be later than usual for the tree to explode in blooms. I guess it’s the cold winter. I’ve never used thistle in a feeder – I may need to try that!

Yes, I have noticed that in extreme cold the camellias turn brown and the new ones don’t open up until the weather is more tolerable. I don’t blame them. haha My birds don’t really care much for the thistle! I rarely have to refill that one, but I keep trying. Mama and a neighbor friend used to keep track of all the different variety of birds that came to their feeders, so I keep trying to entice different kinds. πŸ™‚

2. Barbara Chapman ~ French Ethereal says:

Oh, Nikki, I love your birds!!! I can’t wait until I can have my own garden and home again. Living in a trailer can be a little uncomfortable at times, like when I want to wander in jammies and feed birds, water plants, and not be surrounded by close neighbors… But, I am content most of the time! Lol. πŸ˜‰

One of the things I was most surprised to learn about North Texas is that cardinals live here! Brought by people feeding with birdfeeders, they eventually ended up coming here in winter and will move back north in the late spring. I do love watching birds outside my windows, like you. I guess I inherited this from my parents as they put out lots of seed for the birds who lived near their homes, the last being in Southbury, Connecticut. Dad told me once they spent about $150/month on birdseed!

Funny what we do for our animal friends,
    Hugs to you,
    Barb πŸ™‚

Barbara, I have a large yard, but it is open to neighbors on all four sides. arrrrrrgh! I am planting and planting to hide them because I too want to wander in jammies!!
      Wow, that’s a lot of bird food! but it sure does bring enjoyment.
      Thanks so much for stopping by. πŸ™‚

3. Debbie@debbiethisandthat.com says:

Oh yes, I am very ready for Spring to come! Winter months are hard on me, especially this one which has brought lots of snow, ice, cold and dreariness! I so enjoyed all of your pictures and those flowers are lovely. You reminded me to get some pansies! Do you have issues with bears or other critters getting into your bird feeders? We have a couple bird feeders but the other animals like the seed too! Thanks for a great post!
    Debbie@debbiethisandthat.com recently posted…Weekend Inspiration: Being Generous With WordsMy Profile

Hi Debbie. No, I don’t have any critters getting into my bird feeders here at this house. But my feeders are on a second story level from the ground so critters can’t really get to them. However, I had to stop feeding hummingbirds one year because the neighbors cats kept killing them. I was so sad about that. I moved the feeders and last year and they seemed to be ok at their new spot. πŸ™‚

4. Maureen says:

Our winters are bitter cold and full of snow, but I do keep dried blooms on many perineal to at least add a bit of visual interest along side a few boxwood and evergreen shrubs. By now I am pouring over seed catalogs to get inspiration for the spring! This year I want to plant to attract some humming birds to my garden!

5. Lauren T says:

We have a few bird feeders out back and my parents have them at their home too. The kids LOVE to watch the birds in the winter! Its been chilly here, so I’m all about something I can watch from inside my snuggly warm home! haha!

6. Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au says:

I love seeing birds frolicking in a garden – and your flowers are looking gorgeous too. You must have a reasonably big backyard from what I can see – so a lot of work, but also a lot of reward for your troubles. Thanks so much for linking up with us on #MLSTL and I hope you enjoy commenting and sharing on some of the other posts.
    Leanne | http://www.crestingthehill.com.au recently posted…MIDLIFE SHARE THE LOVE LINK PARTY #2My Profile

7. Donna says:

Hi, Nikki – Even though our winters are mild on Vancouver Island, I too am ready for Spring to come! I love the birds and the flowers in this post — absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing this.

8. Cristina says:

The bird’s house is such a nice idea! My parents live in the countryside and they have a huge garden, my Mum is quite fond of it. I think she would love reading this.

9. Clearissa Coward says:

Winter Jasmine…well you taught me something new. Is it as fragrant as other jasmine plants? The flowers are dainty and really pleasant to look at. You have lots and lots of birds Nikki. If I fed the birds like that, I would have an onslought of squirrels and they are a nusance as it is. πŸ™‚ They love to dig in my flowerpots, sometimes killing new plants. I love your garden and can’t wait for everything to start to bloom for spring. Then you can take us on another your. Thank you for sharing with The Blogging Grandmothers. I have shared on social media.
    Clearissa Coward recently posted…Valentine’s Day Table For Two +LifeMy Profile

I haven’t seen any winter jasmine for sale this year Clearissa. I need to find some though. It’s rather funny that I don’t have any squirrels at our house! We do have chipmunks creating havoc though. Thanks for visiting. πŸ™‚

10. Kathleen - Bloggers Lifestyle says:

What a wonderful way to pass a too cold day. Looking at the antics of birds. I love to watch birds and enjoy their cute ways. Your photos through glass turned out quite good, that is not always easy to achieve. Thanks for a fun post.
    Kathleen
    Blogger’s Pit Stop

I worry about the birds if I happen to forget to fill the feeder and it turns off cold while I am at work! They always seem to forgive me though. Thanks Kathleen. πŸ™‚